Clarity

• 1.  Importing Custom Object data into Database using SQL statements

Posted Nov 27, 2018 11:31 AM

Can anyone help me with the following problem?

I have an external file with some data I would like to import.

I have the object created in PPM and I have created a Java program that parses the external file and imports the data into the database table created by PPM.

However the imported data does not appear only the ones I created using the Custom Objects List tab.

I am using basic INSERT INTO statements to fill up the db table, using unique IDs and setting other static ppm generated columns as it would have been set if I were to create them using the ppm interface.

I found this "com.niku.union.persistence" API. I have yet to figure out if I could use it as I have yet to find any documentation on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Importing Custom Object data into Database using SQL statements

Posted Nov 27, 2018 04:31 PM

You shouldn't be INSERTing rows into Clarity tables as it is not supported, you should use the supported method of data creation (XOG) which will create object instances correctly.

(you are probably at least missing the application access rights - i.e. the "instance view" rights - but thats a GUESS, it really could be for any number of reasons, XOG would do it "right" though)

• 3.  Re: Importing Custom Object data into Database using SQL statements

Posted Nov 27, 2018 08:46 PM

As David indicates, it is not support.  It will not work, as it is not just the database table which is populated, several tables in PPM are also 'inserted/updated' when a PPM Object record is created.  A GEL script can be used to read an external file as well, and the data should be XOG'ed in.

Alternatively, format your external file into appropriate XML format, and use the desktop XOG client to import the data.

There are other forum topics on how to achieve both these two methods.

• 4.  Re: Importing Custom Object data into Database using SQL statements

Posted Nov 28, 2018 09:22 AM

The best option is by developing the GEL scripts and import data from the external file. Using XOG scripts, it will be easier to insert the data into the custom objects that has been created in PPM.

This option will be easier, as it won't require to develop any java programs and uploading the jars onto the server. Also, this option will be supported by CA as well.

Let me know if you require any sample GEL scripts to achieve this.

/Shubham

• 5.  Re: Importing Custom Object data into Database using SQL statements

Posted Nov 28, 2018 09:42 AM

^ I disagree. GEL is not the optimal technology to use for this, especially if you have never used GEL.

The optimal technology is whatever you are experienced in / whatever you already have your development stack in / whatever is fastest for you / whatever you have best support for / whatever you may have existing integrations (to Clarity) built in / whatever you may have existing integrations (from your external system) built in, as long as it can call XOG over SOAP (and that might be Java)

The only time we need to use GEL to build a "thing" is if we want some control over the "thing" to be initiated by the Clarity application - i.e. from a Clarity process (even then we could use Java in a process if we were on-premise rather than SAAS)

The only mandatory thing that needs to be used is XOG - how we call that XOG is a design/development decision.