Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Automic - How to use Job Groups?

Posted Dec 10, 2018 11:44 AM

Completely new to Automic and am looking for more information on Job Groups (JOBG).

Are they similar to SMART Folders in Control-M? In Control-M, the jobs within a SMART folder are visible during the design and run time in the GUI. Also, they inherit the properties of the parent folder.

I did not get very far with JOB Groups in Automic. I have assigned the GROUP to the GROUP attribute of a few jobs, but my Group completes saying that there are no tasks to run.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Automic - How to use Job Groups?

Posted Dec 17, 2018 07:17 PM

I have never used Control-M so I can't make the comparison for you.

I have never applied a JOBG to any of our applications, but I played around with them just out of curiosity.  Once a job has been assigned to a JOBG, this means you can activate one or more instances of that job, and they will not execute until you execute the JOBG.   So it behaves like a dynamic way to stage jobs for execution at a later time.

What I'm unsure of, is how the group of objects will behave when one or more fails.  I doubt that a failure in one would stop the rest from launching, unless they utilized a SYNC object or some other trick like TasksRunningInParallel=1 to force them to wait for problem resolution.  I would test this aspect of it and get them configured to behave in a desirable way, since each use-case could have different requirements.

• 3.  Re: Automic - How to use Job Groups?

Posted Dec 18, 2018 03:30 AM

Hi guys,

I did myself never implement a JOBG but I observed the usage of it at a UC4 REORG Workflow:

Just as quick explanation: UC4 Reorg consists of the DB Utilities DB_ARCHIVE, DB REORG thet should run for every client
    in the system and afterward once shouldrun DB.UNLOAD.

So they took a workflow and put 3 objects into it, one additional generic JOBS is needed.

1. Startscript - processes an SQLI VARA that determines all clients to run REORG on.
       for every client the same JOBS gets started with Parameter CLIENT and ARCHIVE and REORG
       last the JOBS gets activated with parameter UNLOAD

2.JOBG object that starts all previous activated jobs one by one

3. ZIP archive files (generated by DB archive utility)

quite easy and simple with only 5 Objects the whole reorg process is done.

Errorhandling must be done on JOB level!
    I use prep_process_report for this and parse for *Application return code = 0*
    (Attention, this does not catch all errors from the utility!)

hope that helps you a bit

cheers, Wolfgang

• 4.  Re: Automic - How to use Job Groups?

Posted Dec 18, 2018 05:58 AM

Hi,

to give an example where a JOBG make sense. You have a Workflow in Place where a a dedicate point "on Demand Activities" should run. This are typically executed by an AWI User or via CALL API. Typically it make no sense to run the requested object immediate as it is depending on the success of the daily close run. The report is not executed on a daily base, number or executions can be different based on selection criteria required, ... .     
    In this case you can define a JOBG object, put it in the Workflow and at the Object executed via a AWI User or Call API you select the JOBG Object in the Attributes Tab in the Field with the Name Job Group. Now this object gets queued with waiting for the JOBG Object until the Workflow has ended the daily close process an the JOBG object gets active in the Workflow.

Best,

Franz