Symantec Privileged Access Management

• 1.  RDS Farm - CAL License Type

Posted Dec 12, 2018 04:15 AM

Hi to all!

about RDS Farm, used for RDP Application, what are the license type consumed during a session?

Assuming that the user access to PAM with his LDAP username and re-enter his username to access RDP application,

is better license RDS Farm for DEVICE or for USER CAL License?

if I count for DEVICE CAL License the number of license used is = number of PAM nodes

if I count for USER CAL License the number of license used is = number of users that use RDP Application

the number of CAL licenses is very different in one case or another...

• 2.  Re: RDS Farm - CAL License Type

Posted Dec 14, 2018 08:41 AM

CAL licensing determines how many Remote Desktop connections may be made concurrently to a Windows server.  it would not matter that you are using an RDS Farm, as you are only making one connection at a time.  On the PAM side, you would only be using one access license for each device you have configured for access and one password license for each device you have configured for vaulting passwords in PAM.

• 3.  Re: RDS Farm - CAL License Type

Posted Dec 14, 2018 08:47 AM

Yes, but I'm talking about the use of RDS Farm used by "RDP application" of the PAM appliance.

When different users need to use a native application (for example TOAD o SQL Management Studio), we neeed to create a FARM RDS with Microsoft RemoteApp, so we need to license this FARM RDS.

• 4.  Re: RDS Farm - CAL License Type

Posted Dec 14, 2018 02:54 PM

PAM licensing depends on the devices that you configure in PAM.  I'm not familiar with RDS, but assume that you would specify an address, and would be connected to one of the servers in the RDS farm, depending on the RDS configuration.  You'd configure that same address in PAM,  which would take only one PAM Access license.  Assuming Active Directory credentials are used you'd need a Password Device for the AD, so you would be able to manage the accounts.  If you are using local credentials to login to these servers you would need a Password Device for each server for which you would be managing credentials.

• 5.  Re: RDS Farm - CAL License Type

Posted Dec 21, 2018 04:43 AM

Thanks to all, but the post is not for PAM License.

I asked about Microsoft RDS CAL Licence...

• 6.  Re: RDS Farm - CAL License Type
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2018 08:41 AM

Hello Emanuele,

Also with PAM the number of CAL Licenses needs to be the same or more than the total number of concurrent sessions you run against this Terminal Server.

Please check with Microsoft for details

Basically it is not different as when using the native MS Terminal Server Client.