Endevor

Expand all | Collapse all

CA Endevor SYMBOLS

• 1.  CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 12, 2018 12:38 PM

Hello,

How can we resolve symbols in CA Endevor in element type SYSIN when moving the element from one stage to another stage.

e.g my DEV environment IST(stage 1) has db2 schema XIST, QA(Stage 2) has db2 schema XQA and prod (Stage 4) has db2 schema XPROD.

My SYSIN element "TEST" contains query

SELECT *

FROM &ENV.TABLE1

Requirement

When I add the SYSIN element "TEST" to Stage 1, the symbol "&ENV" should get replaced with XIST

When I move "TEST" from stage 1 to stage 2 the symbol "&ENV" should get replaced with XQA likewise for PROD.

Is it possible?

Regards,

Santosh

• 2.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 04:28 AM

Hi,

Can you show me your processor code? looks like there is an error.

If you want to open a case to support.ca.com, you can attach the doc to the case.

Regards,

Ollivier

• 3.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 13, 2018 06:20 AM

Hello Ollivier,

We don't have any such processor code in our Endevor system. Just wondering is it doable if yes then how. If you could give a direction or any documentation then it would be great.

Regards,
    Santosh

• 4.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 13, 2018 06:27 AM

Further explaining the requirement.

I am adding a type SYSIN element TEST which is in my personal PDS say santosh.test.pds(test). This member contains the query 

SELECT *

FROM &ENV.TABLE

When I add this member to Endevor Stage 1, the symbol &ENV should get resolved to XIST. When I move TEST from stage 1 to stage 2 &ENV should replace with XQA likewise in prod stage.

Currently whatever we put in the SYSIN member that simply gets moved to QA and prod. It needs us to remember to change the schema after the testing i.e change XIST.TABLE to XPROD and stage again in stage 1 and then move to prod.

Regards,
    Santosh

• 5.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi Santosh,

You can read the document https://docops.ca.com/ca-endevor-SCM/18-0/en/administrating/processors

You will see how to code all type of Endevor symbolics

Also, there is some sample in this chapter https://docops.ca.com/ca-endevor-SCM/18-0/en/administrating/processors/sample-processors

Regards,

Ollivier

• 6.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2018 11:49 AM

From what I can tell you are adding an element into Endevor and you want Endevor to modify the lines of code of the element?  If that is the case, I do not believe it will do that.  But you can do that within a processor and write it out to a different library.  I have a similar case where we have JCL/PROC/SYSIN types that we migrate through Endevor but we want to validate those at each stage of the lifecycle.  A File-aid/file manager utility is used within my processor, when those types are added into Endevor it is a skeleton with symbolic values that the File manager will replace and write to a different output library.  That way we can validate at each stage, it also has a step that will remove the concatenation of libraries as the JCL moves forward.

In Development - - JCL will have concatenation of DEVL/QUAL/PROD

IN QUAL - DEVL is dropped as we don't want to look back, 1st library concatenation is QUAL then PROD

IN PROD the only library is EMER and then PROD staged libraries.

I hope this is what you were looking for, if not sorry that I took up your time.

Phon

• 7.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 17, 2018 10:21 AM

Hello,

Thank you so much. This is what I was looking for. 

Regard,

Santosh

• 8.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 17, 2018 12:03 PM

There is a utility that every Endevor owner has available in their CSIQCLS0 library that can also treat each element as a skeleton with symbolic values, as Phon describes. That utility named ENBPIU00 (nicknamed Table Tool) can replace symbolics (like Karen's &C1EN example) as it writes its output.  See examples in  Conparmx and Extended Options Presentation - Dan Walther around slide 18 .

• 9.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 17, 2018 10:19 PM

Hello,

Thank you so much.

Regards,
    Santosh

• 10.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 13, 2018 12:13 PM

Phon is correct.  There is no inherent Endevor functionality that will perform symbolic substitution INSIDE a source member/element.  You need to write a processor that call File-Aid, Rexx, or some search/replace utility where you pass the Endevor &C1EN symbol as a variable as the "replace" value.  We do this with our bind cards and Easytrieve Executables.  (rexx for bind cards and File-aid for Eztrieve). 

Hope this helps.

Karen

• 11.  Re: CA Endevor SYMBOLS

Posted Dec 17, 2018 10:22 AM

Hello,

Thank you. This is helpful.

Regards,
    Santosh