Clarity

• 1.  Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Posted Dec 18, 2018 07:25 PM

I have a scenario like most of the project PMs have, where project go live/cut over dates are on weekends. When I try to set that in project schedule, task dates are changing because of the base calendar settings. To my knowledge, I don't think we can have Project/Task Calendar in Clarity. Correct me if I am wrong! If my statement is correct, what is the suggested alternative in this scenario to apply non-workdays for those kind of cutover date, other than specifying constraints?

I was also looking for alternative solutions in communities and I was unable to unable to use links in this post:
    https://communities.ca.com/thread/2290242

Note: We are using MSP integration.

Impact: MSP Integration is changing task start/finish dates as there is no way of setting task calendar at project or task level.

• 2.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Posted Dec 19, 2018 10:08 AM

In current versions of CA PPM there is just one single calendar for all projects. That is the standard or base calendar. That is also in the calendar in PRSITE table.

If you want to have weekends available for schedules you should set them as working days in that calendar. Then you should have another calendar for resources where the weekends are not working days to avoid some of the problems created with the base calendar. I have not seen anything like this so I do not know if there are other problems.

• 3.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Posted Dec 19, 2018 07:23 PM

Thanks for your reply. I guess other way around should work by creating another version of Calendar with all days marked as workdays (and not mark as Standard calendar) and use the new version of calendar in scheduling for 'Task Calendar' field in MS Project. With this we will not be disturbing the out of the box version of the calendar and even Resource calendars will still be mapped to Standard base calendar. 

Thanks,

Praneeth

• 4.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Posted Dec 20, 2018 03:44 AM

In order to be able to define weekend dates for the project dates the base calendar of the system has to have the weekends as working days. It does not matter what you call the calendar it has to be defined as the base calendar.

I do not know what happens in MS Project.

In Open Workbench as far as I understand it you do not have to do that as the project manager can set dates by setting daily effort on holidays. Again I do not know if they will change when the project is saved to CA PPM and the base calendar has week ends as non working days.

• 5.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2018 06:04 PM

I was able to resolve this by creating a new calendar called 'All Day Calendar' with all days marked as working days in Clarity. In MS Project I am using the same calendar at Task Calendar level, wherever I have cutover days over weekend.

I was able to save the schedule to Clarity with the expected cutover dates and hence dates are not changing in Clarity. This way I am not updating base calendar and is not impacting any resource level calendars.

Thanks for all your comments.

Regards,

Praneeth

• 6.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Posted Dec 21, 2018 09:27 AM

I hear you saying that you created a calendar in Clarity, but use it not in Clarity. Only in MS Project you choose that when needed. Further the dates remain when you save from MS Project to Clarity.

Interesting and smart.

• 7.  Re: Project Task Calendar to set Non-workdays for tasks

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 11:25 AM

CA retired the Project/Task calendar capability in 13.x or 14.x. The only calendar that syncs with MSP is the Resource calendar.