DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Posted Dec 19, 2018 04:42 PM

Hi, 

We are seeing the below messaging on two of our collectors: 

[WARN] [Polling Worker] [Manager.IOEventTask] Error while reading in Server Hub Receive 2479 task routing I/O for Socket Transport connected with Socket[addr=axpip-pv3s8x99.lmig.com/10.176.223.202,port=42609,localport=5001]: java.lang.RuntimeException: Incoming data too big consumed 601 buffers exceeded max allowed: 600

After this message in the log we are noticing the agent messaged in the log disconnect. 

What does this message mean? Is there a property that can be configured on the EM side that could resolve this issue? 

Thanks!

Sam

• 2.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2018 06:45 PM

Hi Sam,

Regarding the error

" java.lang.RuntimeException: Incoming data too big consumed 601 buffers exceeded max allowed: 600" on the collector, the exception indicates a agent is sending a huge data entry to EM, exceeding the transport buffer clamp. Please set  

transport.buffer.input.maxNum=8000
    in the IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file and restarted the EM. 

The KB article below also documented it with details:

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/Causes-of-Workstation-Connection-Failures-and-Agent-Disconnections/KB000004212

Thanks,

Ying

• 3.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Posted Dec 20, 2018 08:58 AM

Does this property only need to be enabled on the collectors or the MOM as well? We do not have this property in the properties file and will need to add it.

• 4.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 09:10 AM

Dear Sam:

The KB referred to above explicitly mentions the MOM. It does use more memory/resources. So I would add this setting to all EMs that can handle the additional memory/resources. 

• 5.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Posted Dec 20, 2018 09:22 AM

The article mentions "MOM EMs" so I wasn't sure if it meant the MOM only or referring to just the collectors since you guys something refer to MOM and collectors as EMs

So the property should only be applied to the MOM based on the article? or would just the collectors suffice?

Additionally, how does the calculation for the extra memory/heap work? What does 128K represent?

How is the value for the property determined? Does it have to be 8000  or can it be lower if it going to consume more memory and heap?

• 6.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2018 12:42 PM

Dear Sam:

I was not able to find much on this setting. 

Dear Community :

Can you help Sam out?

Thanks

Hal German

• 7.  Re: Collector Warning Message: I/O for Socket Transport

Posted Dec 27, 2018 09:48 AM

Hi Hal,

I opened a case and got the answers to my questions there. 

From case: 

-This property should be applied to all EMs to account for situations in which the agent is providing data to any EM.

-This is expected memory (heap) consumption per input buffer. This is provided more as a warning that, for an increase to 8000 input buffers, you can expect to see up a 1gb increase in heap consumption. The exact amount needed cannot be determine without doing some testing. 8000 was provided as a suggestion from Engineering and has been successful for other customers encountering this problem, but this specific value is not needed.