DX NetOps

• 1.  Availability report showing incorrect information?

Posted Dec 20, 2018 06:51 AM

Hi,

I have CA PM 3.5 and i can see that one of my monitored routers was not available 2 days of December:

But when i get an availability report it says its availability is 100%, why is that? (am i doing something wrong?)

Regards,

Facundo

• 2.  Re: Availability report showing incorrect information?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 05:00 PM

It appears that the report from PM is for the device, where the eHealth report represents Availability for the Interface Fa0/0/1.

What does eHealth show at the parent device level? Does it match CAPM?

If there is any question about how CAPM determines Availability and Reachability more details can be found here.

Device Availability and Reachability - CA Performance Management - 3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: Availability report showing incorrect information?

Posted Dec 21, 2018 11:00 AM

Michael,

The screenshot is not correct, my mistake.

What i need is to calculate the interface availability to get a SLA report for our suppliers, but i am not being able to obtain that information.

I know the router was down in that time period but i can see that the interface availability is 100% which is not correct..

Which is the correct way to show the interface availability in a report?

Regards,

Facundo

• 4.  Re: Availability report showing incorrect information?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2018 01:05 PM

Interface Availability in CAPM is based on ifOperStatus.

This being reports for hourly resolution, we average the values for the hour.

If we can't poll the device for the entire hour, we'll see an empty block.

As long as we can poll for 1 poll cycle, we'll show the average "collected" values for the hour.

For example the formula used to determing Interface Availability for an Interface using the High Speed Interface Vendor Certification is:

<Expression destAttr="Availability">(ifOperStatus == 1) ? 100 : 0</Expression>

We may poll the Interface Availability for 5 mins, and not for 55. As long as that single 5 min poll resulted in 100%, we show 100% for the hour.

We can't average rows of missing data. We don't do special logic to see there is 1 of 12 polls for the hour when we do rollups. We just roll up the values in the DB.

It would probably be better to use a Trend based graph of the metric to show it was 100 for some part of the hour and has a null/gap value for the time the device was down.

• 5.  Re: Availability report showing incorrect information?

Posted Dec 22, 2018 12:25 PM

Dear,

I think you should extract the minimum availability report for that interface in average if 9 out of 10 values shows availability then the 1 is down its never represents that.. 

• 6.  Re: Availability report showing incorrect information?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2019 01:16 PM

That would be an Enhancement Request. Would be a good thing to post as an Idea posting to the community forum.