Layer7 API Management

• 1.  GW FE and BE

Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:30 AM

what is the difference between Front end and Back-end,is that FE mean,the total time took to to process the policy and Backend mean, the time took by back end service(httpsRoute) in the policy to respond back to gateway(Latency=GW time - back-end took time).

• 2.  Re: GW FE and BE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 09:31 AM

Hi , 

Gateway Dashboard - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation

The Front End response time is the time it takes for CA API Gateway to receive a request from a client, then send a response back to the client.

The Back End response time is the time it takes for CA API Gateway to forward the request to the web service, then receive a response from the web service. Thus, the front end time always includes the back end time.

Some more information can be found 

Gateway Dashboard - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards 

Dirk 

• 3.  Re: GW FE and BE

Posted Jan 13, 2019 08:24 PM

Based up on your comments, the avg FE time should be always greater than back end response.But I've seen cases like see below screen shot,the avg Back end is greater than FE,would you like to comment on this ,is this some thing a bug or going wrong at the dashboard purview? See below screen shot for your reference for avg section where BE is greater than FE.Hope you understood what am trying to ask here,let me know if the ask isn't clear?

• 4.  Re: GW FE and BE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2019 08:45 PM

Dear PopleysYsb ,

I would guess your screenshot is for <All Services>, and maybe <All Nodes>.

As DirkBleyenberg  said, FE = BE + time spend by gateway itself

But the metrics are collected base on services.

If you select one node, and one service, you should always see that FE >= BE.

Regards,

Mark

• 5.  Re: GW FE and BE

Posted Jan 13, 2019 09:04 PM

How does that mater? Based up on  Dirk statement  the avg section of FE should be always greater than BE, because it is GW time + BE and Beackend component is specially back-end processing time.Just pls kindly think mathematically and advice, in what scenario the BE is greater than FE for avg component part? Thanks in advance.

• 6.  Re: GW FE and BE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 12:40 AM

Because it explains the min section.

for avg section, may need the product team to confirm the algorithm 

there are few types of requests, it may be due to different denominator, just guess, the avg FE divided by Total requests, but the avg BE divided by Success requests -- again, just guess, but the test below should prove my theory,

• 7.  Re: GW FE and BE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 01:01 AM

And, if routing failure request(s) is calculated, the avg BE will not be accurate.