Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all
  • 1.  AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:00 PM

Hi,

We are running Clarity PPM 13.2.

One of our user's ran the Audit Trail job, which brought the system to a halt:)

What our DBA team did was to increase the table space.

My question is, how and where can I check and see if this function is turned on or off?

Is there a special way of running this Audit Trail function?

Currently its in: Administration>Data Admin>Audit Trail, we click on, and it goes away and runs.

Can somebody please clear this for me, as to what does this job do?, and like I mentioned above, can this function be turned on or off, and how?

Regards

Ahmet

• 2.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:17 PM

Hi Ahmet - Audit Trail is managed at object level, where admin should be able to alter the attributes that has to be audited and purge period for the audited records in the database.

When you mean user has executed Audit Trail job, what is the exact job name? There is only one Purge Audit trail job by out of the box. Is your clarity on-premise? If yes, check the logs to know the exact reason for the downtime, based on the timestamp when the job was executed.

Data Administration -> Audit Trail - There is no provision to run the job from here. Global audit trail is a view to check the audited records for a specific object and for the selected period. Basically IMO, its like a portlet to view audit trail history.

Regards,

Praneeth

• 3.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:54 PM

Hi Praneeth,

The user running or wanting to run Audit trail on the current Projects.

Is he selecting the wrong function by executing : Administration>Data Admin>Audit Trail?

I have checked the Available Jobs, and cannot see an Audit Trail job, apart from Purge Audit Trail jo, and this is not what we want to run.

Is there a job that would give the user Audit trail of all projects that have been amended in any way?

And yes, our Clarity is on-premise.

Thanks

• 4.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 15, 2019 03:00 AM

There is no Audit Trail job  - that is a job by running which you would get an audit trail on something.

For audit trail see the documentation

https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-5/en/administration/view-a-global-audit-trail 

The way it works when you audit something a trigger is created and that may be for insert, delete, modify.
    As soon as that happens to an instance the data is stored in the audit trail.

As the next post details there is a bug which acts up especially when there is no maintenance on the audit trail.

That is people consider audit trail to be the regulatory audit trail and preserve the audit trail data for 5 years.

Do no do that. Set reasonable date limits for audit trail data age 90 days.

If you need the data for longer than that move it to a custom object if you need to access that in CA PPM or to another db if it is adequate to view it elsewhere.

Then run the job which clears the old data from the audit trail.

The other thing you can do is review what you really want to audit.

• 5.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2019 02:35 AM

@Ahmet
    On old releases we had a defect:
    CLRT-73033: Administration -> Audit Trail page executes a query that performs no pagination, fetching entire resultset into memory and resulting in OutOfMemory exceptions for customers with large audit trails

This was fixed in 13.3

The problem is that the Global Audit Trail does not have any filtering criteria specified by default and can cause OOM errors and can crash the DB.

As you are in 13.2, here some suggestions.

I believe that you are heavily using auditing and I believe due this issue that you are not purging data

Set some purging at object level and schedule the purge audit trail job:

Purge Audit Trail job did not remove records from - CA Knowledge 

Alternatively, until you upgrade to a higher release of Clarity, please remove the Global Audit trail link to avoid these issues 

Regards

• 6.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 15, 2019 03:15 PM

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your information.

How do i remove the Global Audit Trail link, can you please send me the instructions.

Kind Regards

Ahmet

• 7.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 10:13 AM

Hi Ahmet,

Go to Administration > Studio > Menu Manager >  Administration Tool Menu

The link can be removed from there / move it elsewhere / rename the link ...

regards

• 8.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 16, 2019 02:57 PM

Hi Jose,

Thank you for the information.

I have renamed it, and removed Admin rights from that user.

Regards

Ahmet

• 9.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 16, 2019 07:54 PM

Hello again Jose,

Is there a work-around to this function, now that I have removed it.

What the user is looking for is to be able to run Audit's on Projects etc.

Is there a report function or other functionality that is available within Clarity that we can assist him with?

I doubt he is trying to purge anything, but just wants to be able to run Audit reports.

Appreciate if you are able to assist.

Kind Regards

Ahmet

• 10.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 17, 2019 03:05 AM

There is audit trail tab for project properties edit view. That will display the audit trail for one project only.

I do not know if the bug affects that.

The other option is to create an audit trail portlet to display data only for project audits.

I still suggest maintenance of the audit data.

• 11.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 17, 2019 03:22 PM

Hi Urmas,

Your comment 'The other option is to create an audit trail portlet to display data only for project audits.'

Are you able to advise me on how to do this please?

Regards

Ahmet

• 12.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 18, 2019 02:17 AM

See

Audit Portlet Fields 

and the links in it.

Search for more

• 13.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL

Posted Jan 16, 2019 10:43 AM

"users" should not have access to "Administration" functions under normal circumstances.

If your "users" can routinely access the Administration menu then I would suggest that you have a problem with your security-model that should be addressed!

• 14.  Re: AUDIT TRAIL
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2019 02:56 PM

Hi David,

Thank you.

I have removed Admin right for this person.

Regards

Ahmet