AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  Configure round robin load balancing?

Posted Jan 17, 2019 09:40 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for an answer but hit a bit of a wall. I have a machine within our scheduler (11.3.6.6) setup to be a load balancer, within it has four machine names. After monitoring the traffic it appears that all traffic is being sent to only one of the machines. There is no job load or max load configured so no load balancing is being done that way, i've found that I need to adjust MachineMethod setting but cannot find it. Where can I look to see how load balancing is configured.

Is it possible to set up round robin and if so where would I go to configure this?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

• 2.  Re: Configure round robin load balancing?

Posted Jan 17, 2019 02:17 PM

Hey bkenyon,

The machine JIL attribute machine_method should be exposed in the version of AutoSys that you are running.  What I have found is that older clients will allow you to modify the field via a JIL update but will not display it when looking at the machine JIL.

To change:

update_machine: test_vhost
    machine_method: roundrobin

I go to a machine with the SP4 client I do not see the machine_method attribute in the machine JIL:

autorep -qM test_vhost

/* ----------------- test_vhost ----------------- */
    insert_machine: test_vhost
    type: v
    machine: realmachine
    factor: 1.00

...but if I do the same thing on our scheduler (running 11.3.6 SP7):
    autorep -qM test_vhost

/* ----------------- test_vhost ----------------- */
    insert_machine: test_vhost
    type: v
    machine_method: roundrobin
    machine: realmachine
    factor: 1.00
    You can see the additional attribute listed.
    Unfortunately my implementation of autotrack does not display changes to machine definition JIL while on autotrack level 1 - otherwise I would suggest you use this to check while on older clients to see which of your changes to the machine_method attribute were successfully applied.
    Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Scott

• 3.  Re: Configure round robin load balancing?

Posted Jan 17, 2019 05:50 PM

That appears to be the case, I look at the machine on the scheduler and I do not see a machine_method attribute listed.

Does that only work on SP7? I ask because I try to perform that addition and I get an error:

"CAUAJM_E_18917 Invalid keyword specified: machine_method"

• 4.  Re: Configure round robin load balancing?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 05:23 PM

Hi bkenyon,

The machine_method attribute is introduced in SP7 as documented in the SP7 Release Notes.

URL: New Features - 11.3.6 SP7 - CA Workload Automation AE & Workload Control Center - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Jack