DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 28, 2019 12:11 AM

Hi All,

Customer using vmware probe to monitor his environment since there are some vmware appliances which they cannot install robots. But when we check for the QOS graphs on vmware appliances which monitored by vmware probe there are memory utilization mismatch between vmware appliance memory utilization and vmware probe memory utilization graph. From some CA forum i saw that vmware probe is using MOB api to gather memory information. vmware team confired that memory utilization information in vmware MOB and Vcenter are same.

I need to know what memory utilization is vmware probe is referring. VM guest memory utilization like in Windows memory utilization in Task Manager and Linux Memory utilization according to free -m command or something else.

Customers requirement is to monitor utilization according to VM guest running memory.

please help me.

thanks

Kasun

• 2.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 28, 2019 04:08 PM

Since there are a number of different vmware qos metrics for memory util, a good starting point is to determine which one you are talking about. The UMP Performance Reports Designer can be used to show all the QoS metrics available for a target. That can be matched up at the vmware metrics page to see what it is for.

• 3.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 30, 2019 01:22 PM

Hi David,

Do you know the formula used to Guest Memory Usage ( % percentage ) ? Since vmware proe taking values from MOB i cannot match exact values for the formula to show the customer.

Guest Memory Usage in MB is correct and it is the guestMemoryUsage Property in MOB but Guest Memory usage ( in % of Memory ) the formula calculation need to know from the MOB properties.

please help any one know this.

Thanks

Kasun

• 4.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 30, 2019 01:59 PM

Working of the Description from the vmware metrics page:

This monitor indicates the guest memory utilization (also known as, active guest memory) statistic.

So based on that what the probe is reporting as 'Guest Memory Usage ( % percentage )' should equal the 'active guest memory', which should show up in the MOB.

• 5.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 30, 2019 02:04 PM

Hi David,

The percentage value is calculated using some MOB values. Customer needs to know the formula. As an example guestmemory/‘x value’ * 100 likewise 

any idea about this?

thanks

kasun

• 6.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 30, 2019 02:25 PM

Sorry no, I was not able to find anything more.

• 7.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 30, 2019 06:30 PM

Hi ,

name = GuestMemoryUsage (in % of Memory)
    key = GuestMemoryUsagePercent
    unit = Percent
    descr = This monitor iGuestndicates the guest memory utilization statistics, in percent.
    This is also known as active guest memory. The number can be between 0 and the configured memory size of the virtual machine. Valid while the virtual machine is running.
    meth = [pct summary.quickStats.guestMemoryUsage config.hardware.memoryMB]

• 8.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Posted Jan 30, 2019 09:20 PM

Hi Frank,

as i understood guest memory usage percentage value is calculate as below.

Guest Memory Usage (%) = guestMemoryUsage / staticMemoryEntitlement * 100

correct if i am wrong.

many thanks

kasun

• 9.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 30, 2019 09:36 PM

Hi Kasun

Yes should be correct .Check the mob for the correct path for config.hardware.memoryMB

https://pubs.vmware.com/vi3/sdk/ReferenceGuide/vim.vm.ConfigInfo.html 

• 10.  Re: Memory Monitor with vmware probe UIM 8.5.1
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 01, 2019 05:51 AM

Hi Frank,

I opened a CA support case and i got below response on them.

GuestMemoryUsagePercent:

This memory monitor indicates the guest memory utilization metric, in percent. This is also known as active guest memory. The number can be between 0 and the configured memory size of the virtual machine. This computed metric value is valid while the virtual machine is running.

The vmware probe pulls 2 values from the MOB:  summary.quickStats.guestMemoryUsage and config.hardware.memoryMB Calculated %

Guest Memory Usage:  (summary.quickStats.guestMemoryUsage / config.hardware.memoryMB) * 100

HostMemoryUsagePercent:

This memory monitor indicates the host memory utilization metric, in percent. This is also known as consumed host memory. This is between 0 and the configured resource limit. The computed metric value is valid while the virtual machine is running.

The vmware probe pulls 2 values from the MOB:  summary.quickStats.hostMemoryUsage and config.hardware.memoryMB Calculated %

Host Memory Usage:  (summary.quickStats.hostMemoryUsage / config.hardware.memoryMB) * 100

thank you very much for the help provided.

regards

Kasun