Test Data Manager

• 1.  Masking a string field retaining single character with original value

Posted Feb 07, 2019 09:45 AM

Hello,

I have one masking requirement that is I need to mask field value completely of type string except one character in it. I need a suggestions how do I apply masking functions to mask entire value of the field but just retaining one single character in specific position alone? Your help in this will be great full. Example, I have Field type string which holds alphanumeric value. Value is 0929G21455. I need to mask the entire value except third position(value 2) from left.

I am able to find out the masking algorithm to just mask specific value or specific sequence position. But I could not find to ignore masking for specific position. Need experts idea to Implement this scenario. Many Thanks.

Regards

Vijaya Rudhran

• 2.  Re: Masking a string field retaining single character with original value
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 15, 2019 04:00 PM

Hi Vijaya,

You can achieve this by using FORMATENCRYPT masking algorithm which is also consistently mask the values except in position 3 (value 2). Which means if you hit 0929G21455 multiple times in anywhere.

For example 0929G21455 becomes 0929G21455 in any column/row/table/schema/db.

Here is the configuration.

TABLE,COLUMN,FORMATENCRYPT,,,2,7,Y,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Which "2" stands for first 2 character and "7" last 7 characters. That escapes 3rd character in string.

If you do not need to mask this string consistently and you have a fixed format of string, also to gain some speed, you can use POSITIONMASK to achieve that.

Here is the configuration.

TABLE,COLUMN,POSITIONMASK,RD001L-RD002L-RD004L-RA005L-RD006L-RD007L-RD008L-RD009L-RD010L,,,,Y,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Which randomly generates "number" for first two chars then skips the 3rd character. RA005L puts random "alphabet character" in position. RDXXXL puts "number" into rest.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Cihan

• 3.  Re: Masking a string field retaining single character with original value

Posted Feb 17, 2019 05:58 PM

Aviva: Internal

Hi Cihan,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, definitely your solution to my question would help to Implement my masking requirement. I will try below masking algorithms.

Thanks, and Regards

Vijaya Rudhran

This message has been classified Internal on 17 February 2019 at 22:57:27.