DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Feb 12, 2019 03:09 PM

Our plan for 2019 is to migrate our production UIM servers running on Cisco UCS/vmware in our data center, over to our private cloud.  The current infrastructure consists of:

2 - Windows 2012 R2 Servers, SQL 2012 Enterprise active/passive cluster

1- Windows 2012 R2 Server, UIM 8.5.1 core 

1 -  Windows 2012 R2 Server, UMP 8.5.1

3 - CentOS 7 secondary hubs 8.5.1

We have approximately 30 remote hubs tunneling back to the Linux secondary hubs. 

The public IPs of our secondary servers and our UMP server will change.

I want to start the planning process and I'm looking for additional information to review to get the ball rolling.  

• 2.  Re: Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Feb 20, 2019 10:13 AM

This will provide some guidance:

Moving the UIM Installation - CA Knowledge

Potential  issues with performance when running UIM in cloud
    this can be due to but not limited to some of the following
    slow DISK I/O
    high latency Disk I/O
    Slow network I/O
    High Latency network I/O

• 3.  Re: Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Feb 20, 2019 11:11 AM

Thank you for the response and article DavidM.  I understand the possible concerns whenever the cloud is mentioned, however in this case, it is our own private cloud instance, which would basically be moving the installation to another data center.  

Within the article, it mentions making copies and fresh installations.  Since our current production environment is mostly all vm's, is it possible we can migrate the vm's to the new vCenter and update the public IPs of the secondary hubs, and rebuild the tunnels?  I am exploring options with the least amount of downtime.  

• 4.  Re: Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Feb 20, 2019 08:17 PM

Sure, the second tier hub can just be updated, if need be. But they may only have the domain name and so potentially the only reconfiguration needed is at the primary.

Regardless of how it is configured $\nimsoft\hub\hub.sds & viewed via hub > configure > hubs, will have the IP address. Each hub has its own hub.sds and all hubs are supposed to sync up. It should be possible to remove problem entries via the hub configure, or remove hub.sds and restart.

Beyond that I'm not sure what to recommend as I've had little experience with this part of UIM. Potentially some of the other community members may have some advice.

• 5.  RE: Re: Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Apr 13, 2020 11:23 AM
    We have similar requirement of moving two of UIM secondary Hubs from on premise to Cloud. We have around 500 Robots reporting to the Hubs.
    But Primary Hub/UIM Server should remains be in On Premise, only Secondary Hubs present in one of the Data Center needs to be moved.Please suggest your thoughts and suggestion.

Regards,
    Sreenivas A

• 6.  RE: Re: Steps to migrate UIM infrastructure to private cloud

Posted Apr 20, 2020 02:57 AM
    We had the issue where a chunk of the infrastructure had to be moved which involved IP address changes.
    For the hubs (which were on RHEL) we stopped the service before the move, deleted the hub.sds, robots.sds and robot_ext.sds?, and cleared the nimcache directory, redefined the tunnels on the connecting hub, after the move and they had restarted, for the hubs that were tunnel servers we rebuilt the certificates and redistributed.  for the robots same thing if the application moved, otherwise reinstall along with the application.  As we had ipaddress in the config file (due to multiple server interfaces we knew we would need to touch all moved servers one way or another.

If I was doing it again, I would be inclined to rip and replace (ie do a remove before the move) and then use the standard install procedure on the server after the move, The time for the hubs would be the same and for the robots longer but.... we would know that any issues where not related to wrong ip (which we did as some things like this are buried in some of the probe config files).

Either way you will have fun!!! but the planning like this will help

Cheers, Andrew

------------------------------
    Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic
    ------------------------------