Symantec IGA

• 1.  Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?

Posted Feb 15, 2019 01:15 PM

Hi,

We have installed 14.2 vapp, the only option that it to add an external database. However, in 12.5 we could specify different database for audit and object?

Can we do the same for 14.2 vapp?

• 2.  Re: Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2019 10:46 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, you can build a unique DB for each of the components for the included products in Identity Suite (IDS). For Identity Manager (IM) the database configuration page opens in Simple Configuration mode. Click the Advanced Configuration link to expand the configuration details for all six of the IM DB's.

Attachment(s)

zip
    DBs by Component.zip   15 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?

Posted Feb 25, 2019 03:53 PM

Thanks Enrique. I defined different databases in the Advanced sectioned and restarted IDM services. However I am not seeing any tables created for audit or object or snap. Do we need to run this scripts separately or it should have ran by default ?

• 4.  Re: Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?

Posted Feb 25, 2019 06:19 PM

The MS SQL scripts I provided DROP the database and database owner for the included DB's and DBO's. The scripts will then define a new database and associated database owner for each set of product databases. Assuming you only ran the scripts for the Identity Manager (IM) databases, the DDL to define the tables and load default data is executed on the next start of the IM application. You would have run stop_im from the config user, redefine the IM application DB's and then run start_im from the config user. Using view_im_log you will see the DB initialization steps starting and ending before the IME is started.

You should open a Support Case and upload the logs to allow Support to look for an error. If you share the Support Case # on this thread, I will also review the logs to see if the expected steps are executed on the restart of IM.

Take care.

• 5.  Re: Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?

Posted Feb 26, 2019 09:24 AM

Thanks Enrique. I did run the stop_im and start_im after making the change. Unfortunately, I am not seeing any database table being created. I also opened a case for the same issue.

Here is the case number:01302200. However the support has asked us to follow this documentation instead: https://docops.ca.com/ca-identity-suite/14-2/en/virtual-appliance/configuring-virtual-appliance and though I am using the external database I am not seeing anything in the datasource folder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Palak

• 6.  Re: Can you configure different databases for audit, object and task persistence on CA IDM Vapp 14.2?

Posted Feb 26, 2019 11:10 AM

Palak,

You are confusing the use of an external DB to host the IM, IG or IP databases with defining an external datasource (could be JNDI or JDBC) to use with a PX or javascript in IM or IP. The Configure an External Data Source topic in the product guide is not referring to the product DB's. A new datasource definition is not created automatically by the IDS Deployment scripts. 

Following the steps I outlined will provide a clean set of DB's for the Deployment scripts to update the datasource statements in the wildfly start script for IM, IG and IP. In your case only the IM DB's will be reconfigured if you only selected IM using the Database Configuration dialog.

Enrique