Service Virtualization

• 1.  X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it

Posted Feb 15, 2019 02:29 PM

"X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it"

I am running into an issue where I am executing MQ tests on my local Windows machine without a problem, but when I deploy the tests to my Linux environment I am recieving, "X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it".

Does anybody have any idea what is causing this and how to resolve it?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2019 04:28 AM

Hi,

This error says, your LINUX environment has enabled with GUI mode by setting the the variable X11 DISPLAY in environment variable.  

You will need to have a Linux Desktop in order to use Workstation on Linux since it needs a GUI interface.

Here are some other Linux desktops you can use:

https://www.linux.com/news/best-linux-desktop-environments-2016

http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/

Thanks & Regards

Srikanth Gajawada

• 3.  Re: X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it

Posted Feb 22, 2019 10:40 AM

Thanks, Srikanth!

For clarity, I'm not running the script on a Linux desktop. It is simply an MQ script that I am deploying to the registry/coordinator/simulator env that runs on Linux Servers. Are you stating that I should work with a Linux Server admin to have them disable GUI mode?

• 4.  Re: X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2019 02:02 AM

If it is your own script that you are trying to run then it shouldn't be necessary to call in a linux server admin. You can either:

- in the beginning of your script, add the command: unset DISPLAY

- or replace the specific <command> that generates the error with: env -u DISPLAY <command>

Cheers,

Danny

• 5.  Re: X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it

Posted Feb 25, 2019 10:55 AM

I tried to send the unset DISPLAY command via a jsr-223 step and command line utility step. Neither worked. My script simply executes an MQ call so not sure why anything is trying to be displayed when I run this headless. I'll put a ticket in with support to look into this further. Thanks!