Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

• 1.  What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 04:03 AM

Hello all,

Can someone give me the brief idea about Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Thanks,

Suresh

• 2.  Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee

• 3.  Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 05:44 AM

Hi Suman, 

Thanks for the Update!!

Just a question do we have any OOTB reports that shows data from Trend Tables?

is it possible for us to create reports using trending tables? if yes where we can created?

Thanks,

Suresh

• 4.  Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 05:53 AM

Not yet in the existing version but you can definitely create reports as at the end the data is stored 

• 5.  Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Mar 29, 2019 05:25 PM

Just started my deep dive into trend data.  Have created and updated trend tables in DWH and can successfully see data.  Yahoo!

A couple impressions I have:

• can't see these dwh_trend tables in ad-hoc reporting - guessing one can't use these for ad-hoc only with Jaspersoft Studio, Power BI or other reporting tool
    • can't see any custom fields or custom objects in the trend data, nor can I find anything, yet, in documentation as how one can add custom content to these jobs/tables

We have a need for snapshotting some custom fields from a custom object hanging off the Project object.  Was hoping to use this OTB feature, rather than having to build a custom job to do the same thing.

If there is a way to add custom content to these trend jobs/tables, how does one do this?  If I'm missing it in the documentation, where exactly are the instructions?

Ciao!  Have a great weekend, everyone!

• 6.  Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Apr 01, 2019 09:18 PM

I was hopeful that other objects on the Project would also be enabled for Trending (eg Risks/Issues) but that is 'greyed' out on the Object and can't be selected.  For Custom Objects under Project, I don't see 'Include in the Data Warehouse Trending'.

I have developed custom processes which capture things like the number of open risks/issues, and their rating, so that we can undertake our own trend analysis, but agree, if PPM provided that functionality on sub-objects, I would use the OOTB trending instead.

• 7.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Jul 25, 2019 12:05 PM

Hello Dale,

since you "Have created and updated trend tables in DWH and can successfully see data", can you share how you got started?

I read the documentation, but that does not really describe well how to set up trends...
    (https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-6-1/en/advanced-reporting-with-jaspersoft/data-warehouse-trend-reporting 

- Do I need to run the job "Create Data Warehouse Trend" once/regularly?
    - I cannot configure the attributes that are being saved in the trend (I learned that customized attributes can be flagged to be included)?
    - I cannot find pre-defined trending data, that are mentioned in the documentation; the Jaspersoft Trending report is empty.

Any help and experience is appreciated...
    BR David

• 8.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Jul 25, 2019 01:00 PM

Hi David,

• Do I need to run the job "Create Data Warehouse Trend" once/regularly?
      • Run once for each trend that you are creating
      • Then run/schedule update data warehouse trend job for each trend that you are refreshing
    • I cannot configure the attributes that are being saved in the trend (I learned that customized attributes can be flagged to be included)?
      • Not clear as to what you are asking
      • Whether included or not in DWH trending, one should be able to configure attributes
      • Do you mean you cannot select an attribute to include in DWH trending?
        • If yes, first check the object to see if "Include in Data Warehouse Trending" is checked.  This read only, can't change it.
        • If box is unchecked, then the object (and it's attributes) can't be included in DWH trending (not yet, at least; maybe in future release?)
        • Also, note that only certain custom attribute field types can be included in trending (string, number, date, lookup, formula, calculated, aggregated and Boolean)
        • So, if your object has the 'include' box unchecked and/or your custom attribute isn't one of the listed types, you won't be able to trend it.
    • I cannot find pre-defined trending data, that are mentioned in the documentation; the Jaspersoft Trending report is empty.
      • I haven't looked for this pre-defined data, sorry.
      • I picked some attributes on objects where I knew we had our own data.

Currently, I'm unable to do more as our 15.5.1 sandbox where I was starting to train myself on this topic is down for rebuilding as a 15.6.1 sandbox.  Due to hardware delays, we never took 15.5.1 to TRN or PRD – those systems are still on 15.2.  Another week +/- a couple days and I should have a system where I can look at trend topics, again.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind regards,

Dale C. Stockman

ZF Friedrichshafen AG

Active & Passive Safety Technology

Braking

12200 Tech Center Drive, Livonia, Michigan  48150  USA

Telefon/Phone +1 734 855-2755, Telefax/Fax +1 734 855-2695

dale.stockman@zf.com

• 9.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Jul 27, 2019 03:11 PM

Hello Dale,

thanks for your answer, with this guidance I was able to create ‚all trends' for ‚all periods' for 2019.
    @Community What could be the advantage of creating trends separately?
    @Community How often do you update the trend? Once a week, once a month?

If I mark another attribute for trending would updating the trend be sufficient or is re-creating the trend 
    I need to do some tests on my own.
    Finally, it's a pity that money attributes cannot be added to a trend...

BR David ​

• 10.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Dec 10, 2019 12:08 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Community, 

I face another issue with trending:
    - I created a trend using the "create data warehouse trend" job (all tables, all trends, 2019).
    - I update the trend using the "update data warehouse trend" job 3x per month (referring to the trend created, there are no other settings).

What happens is that my historic trend gets deleted and a new snapshot is saved, resulting in an empty trend with a spike for the current month's values at the end (see screenshot).

Reading the manual it even says:
    Update Data Warehouse Trend Job
    This job updates an existing snapshot of your trending data. The job deletes the previous trend snapshot data and then re-creates a new snapshot in its place.
    http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15_5_1/reference/clarity-ppm-jobs-reference.html 

What is the correct configuration of the trend jobs to store a 'simple' snapshot each month without deleting the previous values?
    BR David

• 11.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Dec 30, 2019 06:12 AM
    Any idea anyone?​ I want to start "Trends" correctly in 2020...

• 12.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 30, 2019 11:14 AM

Hi David 

By any chance you are running the Delete Trend Job. Ideally it shouldn't delete and if its doing it please raise a support case and we would like to review the system.

Regards
    Suman Pramanik 

------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

• 13.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Posted Jan 07, 2020 11:28 AM
    Hi Suman,

thanks for following up! No, I definitely do not run the "Delete data warehouse trend" job.

I created a trend (running the "Create Data Warehouse Trend" job) with the parameters "all trend tables" and all "periods".
    When updating the trend, all periods were deleted and only the current one was updated.

Obviously, I have to create a trend for the "current period" only and run the update job only on the "current period".
    Not really intuitive and poorly explained in the product manual...

Regards, David​

• 14.  RE: Re: What is Trend Reporting & Trend Reporting for Custom Attributes in CA PPM 15.5?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 09, 2020 08:48 AM
    Thanks for the feedback David. I see the document as 

Trending Snapshots
    Trending data is dynamically defined through your seed data. Each trend is a series of snapshots of different data warehouse tables. You can run jobs that take snapshots of data to be used in trending reports. The frequency of trending data is flexible.
    • Trending has its own set of jobs that depend on the Load Data Warehouse job.
    • The jobs do not depend on the Data Warehouse Load Access Rights job.
    • Trending references only the data warehouse tables; it does not use the PPM transactional database.
    • The data warehouse harvests your trending data from its other existing tables. Those tables are already aggregated and summarized. When updating and connecting to trending data in the data warehouse, performance is already optimized by design.

Now we mentioned about Each trend so I believe we should make it more clear that if you run the job with the same parameter it will overwrite and you will need to choose the different periods. Does that help. 

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom