Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 10:03 AM

Hi Folks

I am trying to find a way to assign the SAME resource to a single project TWICE, with 2 different bill rates in CA PPM.

The scenario is that a resource, let's say a Solution Architect, will work on a project that is chargeable to a customer.  The Solution Architect's hours might be charged to the customer at, say for example, £100/hour.  He might work e.g. 50 hours.  But that same Solution Architect realises that he made a mistake and needs to work an additional 10 hours on the project to correct his mistake.  But he cannot charge the customer, because it was his error.  So he wants to charge the project with the 10 additional hours, but at a £0/hour rate.

A similar scenario/impact is where ONE person works on a single project but in TWO or more roles.  The same person does different jobs on a project!!

This seems a very common problem in my experience.  Essentially boiling down to having a single resource appear multiple times on a single project. 

Does anyone have a solution to this dilemma?  From what I can see, CA PPM only allows a person to appear once in a project team (therefore only one cost rate and one bill rate and one role).  I need one person to have multiple roles and potentially multiple bill rates on a single project.

Help please!!

Many thanks in advance.

:-)

• 2.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 01:24 PM

My understanding is that you can only have a resource once in the staff of a project unless you using one of the versions where you have teams. A resource can have only one project role, but a different role for each task. Further my understanding is that the Resource Role in the matrix is not the task role, so that does not help. In the matrix you may have columns for input type code and charge code. Input type is something you can enter when entering time and even for the same task there can be two timeentries with different input type codes. Charge code is project and task property which can come from those set or something else can be entered when time is entered. With those options many people get away with having a resource just once in the project while still having different rates for different type of work.

• 3.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 02:56 PM

A resource can only be allocated (Team tab) to a project one time. If your architect wants to charge "overtime" at $0, I believe there are 2 ways to go about it:

1) create 2 Tasks, assign him to both. For his 'main' task which attracts a rate, use his normal role. For the $0 hours, update his role in the Assignments section to one which attracts a rate of $0.

2) have one Task and have him add the task twice to his timesheet. Have him add the Role field to the timesheet and change his Role to one that does not attract a rate.

• 4.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 03:44 PM

Alistair,

Regarding suggestion #2, do you mean add the one task to timesheet, then split it?  That way, one could select a one Charge Code or Input Type Code for the original task, and different Charge Code or Input Type Code for the split task – thereby enabling one to select different rates for each from the matrix – perhaps a regular rate for the original task and an OT rate for the split task.

Resource could then maintain the same role on the task.  Expect there are scenarios where one could have different roles on same task.  For scenarios where resource is maintaining the same role on a task, just sometimes working regular hours, sometimes working overtime, changing the Charge Code or Input Type Code may be the way to go.

What do you think?

Dale

• 5.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 03:52 PM

That would definitely work, Dale - I hadn't thought of adding the Input Type Code or Charge Code into the mix but that's definitely the better way to go.

• 6.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 20, 2019 04:27 PM

Referring to my post above, which role do you guys think it is in the matrix resource primary role, project role or task role?

If it is resource primary role then splitting the task will not give different rates. If it is task role it will.

• 7.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 25, 2019 04:43 PM

Hey Martti,

Looking at our rate matrix, I can only see "Resource Role" in the Assign Columns screen.

A (very) quick check indicates it is a hierarchical thing - if there's an Assignment Role it uses that, if not it looks for a Project Role. If there's no Project Role it goes to the Primary Role.

• 8.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 26, 2019 02:03 AM

Thanks Alistair. Could you please tell how you did the quick check.

• 9.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 28, 2019 02:20 AM

Hi Martti

I added a resource to a project. The Primary Role of the resource is 'GIS Solution Architect / Design (Employee)'. This role attracts a rate in the matrix of $137.50 /hour. The Primary Role became the Project Role (Team tab).

I added the resource to 2 Tasks: Test Task 1 and Test Task 2. For Test Task 1, I left the Assignment Role the default Primary Role. For Test Task 2, I changed the Assignment Role to 'GIS Senior Business Analyst (Employee)', which attracts a rate of $93.75 /hour.

I then had the resource prepare a Timesheet. He split Test Task 1, and changed the Timesheet Role for the second split to 'GIS Test Analyst (ANZ)', which attracts a rate of $75 /hour.

So, our timesheet has 3 rows:

1. Test Task 1, with the role 'GIS Solution Architect / Design (Employee)' has 10 hours
    2. Test Task 1, with the role 'GIS Test Analyst (ANZ)' has 10 hours
    3. Test Task 2, with the role 'GIS Senior Business Analyst (Employee)' has 20 hours.

The timesheet was submitted, approved, posted. We then ran Post Transactions to Financials and Post to Wip, and we ended up with:

1. Test Task 1 with 10 hours at $137.50 /hour
    2. Test Task 1 with 10 hours at $75 /hour
    3. Test Task 2 with 20 hours at $93.75 /hour

Expected result = $4,000. Actual result = $4,000. Attached file has screen-shots.

Test Resource Role Hierarchy Doc

• 10.  Re: CA PPM - One resource to appear in a project multiple times.

Posted Feb 21, 2019 08:58 AM

Thanks so much to everyone.  I am going to experiment now with your suggestions and find the most suitable approach for our scenario.  Very much appreciate everyone help.  Many thanks.  :-)