AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Posted Feb 27, 2019 11:06 PM

I was wondering if anyone has increased the default value of 10 threads for parallel event triggering and if helped with triggering events more closely to their scheduled time.

The way we are setup, on the top of the hour we notice a little bit of a delay from the time the apps are scheduled to the time they actually start. We have this actually more than just the top of the hour but of course that is the most noticeable time. Apps may be schedule for 11PM but don't actually begin executing until a minute or more after their scheduled time. I have had to setup a few apps to trigger in a few mins before and then delay submission time at the job level so that it runs on time.

Below is pulled from the manual for 12.1 regarding parallel event triggering. Just looking for anything that can be looked at to have apps run closer to their schedule.

Specify the Maximum Number of Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

The CA Workload Automation DE server is a Java-based multithreaded application. By default,
    the server uses up to ten threads for triggering Events in parallel. However, you can optimize the
    triggering of parallel Events based on the server workload and the CPU and memory resources
    available on the server computer. To increase or decrease the maximum number of Events the
    server can trigger in parallel, modify the maximum number of parallel threads accordingly.

Note: The server restart is not required for the modified value to take effect.
    Important! Contact CA Support before modifying the maximum number of parallel
    threads for triggering Events

• 2.  Re: Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Posted Feb 28, 2019 04:20 PM

We are at R12.0 SP1 we still have our value set at 10.  We notice 8-30 sec lag on top of the hour. It use to be more like 1-2 minutes on top the hour but thinking the upgrade to R12.0 SP1 has helped. We are very heavy on interval appl/jobs 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and hourly that all trigger on top of the hour.

• 3.  Re: Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2019 04:04 PM

Hi,

Yes, you can increase the threads.  You may want to increase by 2-3 threads and see if the performance improves.

HTH,

Nitin Pande

Broadcom

• 4.  Re: Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:24 PM

Hi Nitin, appreciate the reply. I am aware that you can increase the threads. I guess what I am more so looking for is if anyone has any information on what resources will be consumed when you do this. We can easily increase it but I am hoping for is to have a little bit of an understanding of what happens when you do this (do you need to confirm that you have enough resources or whatever else first before doing this?)

Just not much of a fan of doing it and not really knowing what resources are being consumed with the change.

• 5.  Re: Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2019 11:41 AM

Hi,

So, increasing the event threads won't really tax resources.  It's only if the service is really busy then it may be an issue.  I will suggest to see your memory usage with 'memcheck' in CLI.  If you are at about 80-90% usage, then increase it accordingly by 20-30%.   You can also check other parameters in the  Monitor -> Dashboard -> Summary Dashboard.

Thank  you,

Nitin Pande

Broadcom

• 6.  Re: Parallel Threads for Triggering Events

Posted Apr 02, 2019 09:25 PM

Thanks as always Nitin, I will begin looking into this