Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  z/OS Command help

Posted Mar 08, 2019 02:52 PM

Hello.  I currently have an RAFTP job that connects to my mainframe agent and copies 51 files to a encrypted file server  (there is no agent on this server) one at a time.  Half the files have the same root name and the other half a different root name.  Each copy command is set to skip the command if it fails but not end the job.

Sometimes one of the copy commands fails due to a connection issue.  I think this is due to the repeated connection attempts by the 51 commands and the mainframe says I need a break.

On any Windows or Unix agent server I can use a wildcard to copy multiple files but on the mainframe the wildcard is interpreted as a literal and gives me a dataset name not found error.  I have read you can use a wildcard in a JOBF but there is no agent on the encrypted server so I can't use that.

In a JOBF I can set the Code=EBCDIC_00037.  I was hoping I could slip that code into a free form command prior to copying to make the command see it as a wildcard but I have not been able to find an IBM command to set the character set.

I can reduce the 51 copy commands to 2 if I can figure out how to use a wildcard.

Does someone know how to make the RAFTP work with a wildcard or is there some other object in Automic that would fit the bill when the destination does not have an agent?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: z/OS Command help

Posted Mar 08, 2019 07:44 PM

We don't have z/OS here (got rid of our mainframe in 2012).  But I wonder if you could create FTP processes in your z/OS environment that would transfer the desired files, and then instead of running an RAFTP, you would just run the necessary z/OS commands to execute those FTP processes?

• 3.  Re: z/OS Command help

Posted Mar 12, 2019 04:32 PM

Thanks Pete.  That was one of the options I looked at and it may be the final answer.  My goal was to reduce 51 copy commands to 2.  I will have to try the wildcard using GET commands in the Free Form command line.  Thanks.

• 4.  Re: z/OS Command help

Posted Mar 12, 2019 02:56 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by an encrypted file server (Windows?), but is there an open Windows share to the server from another server that does have an agent?  You could run the file transfer (JOBF) from the mainframe to the other server and use a UNC path as the destination path.

• 5.  Re: z/OS Command help

Posted Mar 12, 2019 04:36 PM

It is an encrypted windows file server running MoveIt DMZ software to handle the encryption.  We tried to put an agent on it and it will move the files but in an un-encrypted state.  Your method of sending to an intermediate server might also be a solution.  Thanks.