Rally Software

• 1.  Does Project "Copy Users From" button remove existing Users from Project?

Posted Mar 13, 2019 02:32 PM

If I select a Project's "Copy Users From" button, will it 

A) Remove all existing Users from the Project.  Only the copied Users will have access to the Project.

B) Add the copied Users to the Project.  Existing Users will still have access to the Project.

• 2.  Re: Does Project "Copy Users From" button remove existing Users from Project?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 04:18 PM

Hi Matt,  I found this:

https://docs.ca.com/en-us/ca-agile-central/saas/administer-users 

Copy a Set of User Permissions From an Existing Project

Note: If the user already exists in the project, the highest permission is kept between the current and copied permissions.

Some benefits of adding users from existing projects include:

• If you have a team that moves from one project to another, this feature allows you to easily copy permissions from project to project.
    • Add users from a parent project. Child projects can inherit the same permissions from the parent.
    • When creating a new project, if you have already made all of your users viewers or editors on an existing project, you can bring them all in as users on the new project with one selection.
    To copy all permissions from an existing project:
    1. Locate the project whose user permissions you wish to update, then select the Manage Users icon at the far right of the project row.
    2. On the Project Users page, select Copy Users from.
    3. Enter the name of the project you want to copy permissions from. When you start typing part of a name or user name, the tool auto-suggests matches that you can add with a single selection.
    4. Select Copy.

• 3.  Re: Does Project "Copy Users From" button remove existing Users from Project?

Posted Mar 13, 2019 04:27 PM

Yes, I read that page before I asked the question.  But to me, the phrase "copy all permissions from an existing project" is ambiguous about whether that means "my Project will have exactly the same permissions as an existing Project (implying some current Users might be removed from my Project)" or "all permissions from the existing Project will be added to my Project (and existing Users on my Project will be left as-is)".

• 4.  Re: Does Project "Copy Users From" button remove existing Users from Project?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 15, 2019 10:45 AM

Hi Matt;

The less ambiguous answer is no, the user copy feature never remove users from the target project. The feature will a) add new users from the source project to the target if they don't already have permissions and b) increase the permission level of existing users in the target project if they have higher permissions in the source project (e.g. make a Viewer into an Editor if the user has Viewer in the target but Editor in the source). The user will always retain the higher permission, so if they have Editor in the target but Viewer in the source then they'll keep Editor. 

Hope that helps.

• 5.  Re: Does Project "Copy Users From" button remove existing Users from Project?

Posted Mar 15, 2019 11:43 AM

Thanks, that was very helpful!