DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

Posted Mar 13, 2019 08:31 AM

What I have is  a metric that can be collected with the following OID for a network device switch (example CISCO 3850)  interfaces:

OID -1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.3 - Last Input >> Elapsed time in milliseconds since last line protocol input packet was received

I am able to use the SNMPGET (because the 3850 is not a supported device for the SNMPC and I cant get the metric from the collector) and browse the device with that OID and it shows me a list like below:

Is it possible that I can use a part of the OID and create a template with that so for each device I drop that one templet onto each switch that I have a profile for in the SNMPGet probe and it would collect all the "Last Input" metric for each interface and then I could report on it in a dashboard or list view?

That way I font have to take each OID for every single port add it to a template for each device one at a time then move it over. Then do the same thing for all 300 switches I have, is this possible? Or if its possible with another probe which probe would that be?

In total I have 3 interface OIDs that I want to be able to pull metrics for each one of my 3850 or 2960 switches which I want to get from every interface and be able to display/report on to our network admins:

OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.3 Last Input >> Elapsed time in milliseconds since last line protocol input packet was received -
    OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.4 Last Output >> Elapsed time in milliseconds since last line protocol output packet was transmitted.

OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.5 Output Hang >> Elapsed time in milliseconds since last line protocol output packet could not be successfully transmitted.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

Posted Mar 18, 2019 12:33 PM

David - I first started with the OIDs I wanted using your CA Knowledge Article. With no luck I stopped and thought I would try to just duplicate what the article has here.

So I went through and duplicated the article, all I get is the following when I try to just duplicate what the article says see below screen shot: (Any Ideas??)

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

Posted Mar 18, 2019 01:40 AM

rtirak I would be interested to know if you get this working using the document referred to above. I also was looking at this dynamic index feature but can't make sense of how it actually works.

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

Posted Mar 18, 2019 12:35 PM

MaxL I will keep you up to date on this, at this point I have tried to duplicate the KB that David M attached but with no luck I am just getting a message that states "Unable to Extract  Data from SNMP Agent"

I also tried this with the OIDs I wanted to use however still get the same kind of error. So I am looking for more information on Dynamic Indexing, and will update you when I make progress

• 6.  Re: Is it possible to use one OID with the SNMPGET to pull a metric for all interfaces rather than needing to add every OID for every interface per device?

Posted Mar 19, 2019 04:16 PM

Yeah, looking into this more the dynamic OID KB is not going to work, the OID that you want to monitor changes index, and that doesn't seem to be the case. snmpcollector does list the 3850 as 'cisco cat385048p' however it seems 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.3 is part of OLD-CISCO-INTERFACES-MIB which is not supported. So what might be needed is to go through the process of requesting support for those OIDs.

SNMPCOLLECTOR - New Device Certification Request P - CA Knowledge