AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Mar 22, 2019 08:50 AM

Is there a way to suppress OVERDUE notifications during known outages? Every month we have situations like patching, hardware upgrades, network outages where jobs go OVERDUE, but these are acceptable.

We're trying to determine if there is a way prevent sending false notifications to the support teams during known outages.

Thanks,

Ken Ski

• 2.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2019 11:08 AM

Hi Ken,

So are the alerts set to send SNMP notifications?

Also, do you have SNMP traps going thru the WA Agent? If so, you can turn off the Agent SNMP setting to false.

You can also set the SNMP manager to some unknown host for the time your maintenance is being done.   The DE server will in either case just send the traps and they won't reach your actual SNMP host.

HTH,

Nitin Pande

Broadcom

• 3.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 02, 2019 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a simpler answer where we might adjust something in the EVENT/Application/Job. 

• 4.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 02, 2019 12:14 PM

Hi,

Just an odd thought. Not great but it would work. 

In the alert that is triggered by the late alert,  add a Javascript line that would EXIT if the late jobname started with XYZ-

If you wanted to make it fancier it could EXIT if the jobname started with XYZ and the time was between the maintenance start time and end time. The lines could be left there permanently.  When it is not active change the jobname to something invalid. 

I don't have an example of this but I think I could work this out if needed. 

• 5.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 04:25 PM

One idea I played with but never implemented was  using a variable in the 'Mark Overdue when not completed by' field instead of a hard coded time.  When the application is generated, you could use javascript to modify the times before the variables are resolved and assigned to jobs.

So, if you have an expected 2 hour outage, jobs that would normally be overdue at 7pm would be set to 9pm.  This all assumes you know the outage window prior to the the application being generated.

Like I say... never got around to testing this.  Just an idea.

• 6.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 15, 2019 06:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Andy. 

• 7.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 04:32 PM

Perhaps a more straightforward option would be setting a global variable that is used in the email subject line informing the recipient that the overdue is the result of an expected outage.

The notifications still go out but with some extra information.  When there is not outage the global variable should be cleared so it adds nothing to the subject line.

• 8.  Re: WA/DE - OVERDUE Notification?

Posted Apr 15, 2019 06:22 AM

We do send out communications of known outages to the community, but there are those who still react when woke up in the middle of the night. We were thinking there must be a way to suppress the notification from the product we send these overdue notification's too. I was just trying to see if there was a more straightforward way to prevent them from being issued in the first place. Thanks for the suggestions.