CA Service Management

• 1.  Modify/Change - AHD Error Messages

Posted Mar 29, 2019 01:46 PM

I am interested in knowing if and how I can modify a specific AHD Error Message:

AHD05917: Activity Log Comment is Required

Right now the error message is sort of generic, stating a log comment is required. We have certain status transitions setup where a comment is required when changing to a particular status.

Not all of our analysts update the ticket status the same way ... some use the "Update Status" function from the menu-bar or right mouse click while others just click the "Edit" button and change the field right on the ticket form.

I would like the error message to tell the user where and how to accomplish the requirement. Maybe have it say the following:

Activity Log Comment is Required, you must use the "Update Status" function to do this.

thank you

TheKatherine

• 2.  Re: Modify/Change - AHD Error Messages
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 30, 2019 05:46 AM

• 3.  Re: Modify/Change - AHD Error Messages

Posted Mar 31, 2019 10:32 PM

Hello TheKatherine,

Timur has it right on how to change it. 

Some other comments on error message text in general.

* Just because messages can be changed, does not mean that they should. 

* Messages are often "generic" because it is never known how many pieces of code will call them, or under what conditions. You might understand perfectly how and why a message is called for one scenario. But will it always be called under the same conditions? By the same piece of code? In the same location? How about in future versions?

* Short specific changes - like your text change - are better than longer, more details messages.

* Consider pointing out to Knowledge Documents or similar sources to give extra detail. 

So you might maintain a Knowledge Document with common error messages and how to fix them. 

These are typically easier to maintain than altering the application code. For a start, you can delegate this out to anyone with knowledge document rights. (You could combine this with an update to the Error Message, so that the Error message points to your documentation source.)

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: Modify/Change - AHD Error Messages

Posted Apr 01, 2019 02:30 PM

Thank you for the extra information (suggestions) on changing error messages.

When I looked at the AHD Error in the pdm.xml file ... the action listed was exactly what I wanted the error message to say so I think I am good with changing the text for this one and not impacting anything else.

thanks

TheKatherine