AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0

Posted Apr 02, 2019 09:33 AM

If a basic EVENT is setup to run daily every x-minutes and stops working is that because something happened to the Workload Automation server, Application server, Scheduling Manager, CA WA Desktop Client, or something else? No error message, just stopped.

I looked in all the manuals and couldn't find anything that explained the architecture of EVENTs. I did find information in the CA Workload Automation DE Architecture document, but this only discussed the components.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  Re: EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0

Posted Apr 02, 2019 01:07 PM

I saw this happened once but the next schedule run was so far in the past, it went unnoticed here because they didn't want the flow to run anymore.  We didn't have logs far enough to even go back and look.

We did have a different type of issue and didn't find anything in tracelog or errors.txt log when grepping by application name.  I then grepped on the errors.txt log for the exact time it should have loaded we were able to find an error message.  Not sure if that will help you or not but it helped us for our issue.

• 3.  Re: EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 09:21 AM

See this on events calculation by DE.  How was your event defined?  

Were there any suspend and resume in the event?

When an event has suspend and resume in it, the manager still calculates the events for those times.  It just does not trigger them.  However, it can only calculate finite number of events before it reaches the limit and then it won't be able resume.  This only happens for cyclics or events triggering every 10 minutes or less and it gets suspended for more than 3-4 days.

Thanks,

Nitin Pande

Broadcom

• 4.  Re: EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0

Posted Apr 03, 2019 09:38 AM

Thanks for the link to: "What happens to jobs when CA WA DE stops or restarts"

• 5.  Re: EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0

Posted Apr 03, 2019 09:35 AM

Thank you both for your reply. I know the issue that caused the EVENT to hang, the database had issues. And because these EVENTs were setup to run every minute they most likely were affected. The problem was this was our DEV environment and nobody noticed it for a couple days. Being an EVENT no OVERDUEs, or alerting could be built against these EVENTS/Applications.

Based on Nitin's reply I think I have my answer. I was just curious what component controls the logic of the EVENT. Initially I thought it was on the server where I have the application/jobs defined but remembered when an EVENT is created you do not tell it to run on any particular server, so that means the scheduling manager, or the database controls the logic for triggering the EVENT. 

• 6.  Re: EVENT - CAWA DE 12.0
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 10:11 AM

Yes, events are triggered and calculated by the manager.  The artifact or definition as with all, are kept in the database.

Events do not have any visibility to the jobs, which are executed by the agents.  Events simply bring up the application at set time/schedule and then application runs the job(s) as needed.  The jobs are then sent by manager to each agent as per definition.

Thanks,

Nitin Pande

Broadcom