OPS/MVS

• 1.  General question regarding migration

Posted Apr 04, 2019 03:55 AM

Hello Team,

I have question regarding migration of OPS/MVS. I am at the beginning of the process, so it will be just general question.

Plan is to migrate from 12.3 to 13.5. Unfortunatelly there is no test environment. Since "traditional" migration is not possible due to datasets naming convention and smpe issues (13.5 is delivered by IBM GSD stanadrd) I plan to install new instance of OPS while the old is working. All rexxes, rules, tables and variables will be copied to the new instance.

After initial setup old instance will be stopped and new will be started for tests. There are additional issues (jes3 and imses), but this will be tested later.

In Your opinion is this feasible plan? Am I missing something important? Are there any traps I could avoid?

Thank You

• 2.  Re: General question regarding migration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2019 09:28 AM

Hi Wladyslaw,

The only concern I have on this plan are possible references to dataset names in some configuration members or even rules and REXX programs.

For example, if you create the rulesets with new names you have to update the OPSSPA00 parameter file at least to change the RULEPREFIX value.

Also, the OPSTART1 CLIST may have to be updated to reflect the correct location of the OPSSPA00 member.

For other possible references, you may perform some searches in the rulesets and REXX libraries for possible references to the old library names.

Other locations to be searched:

- PROCLIBs and other JCL libraries 

- SYS1.PARMLIB members (regarding APF, LNKLST, etc)

Regards,

Mario

Carlos Mario Silveira Filho

Principal Support Engineer
    CA Technologies A Broadcom Company 

• 3.  Re: General question regarding migration

Posted Apr 07, 2019 12:49 AM

Hello Carlos,

Thank You! I am aware of the renaming issue (OPSSPA00, OPSTART1, rules, rexxes, opslog, syschk1).
    Another thing that came into my mind...what about schedules (4.11.4)? Are they saved into SYSCHK1 or should I use other method? Once I close old instance of OPS I will make a backup of SYSCHK1/rename it and use it to start the new instance.

Thank You in advance,

Wladyslaw

• 4.  Re: General question regarding migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2019 02:21 PM

Hi Wladyslaw,

Yes, the information about Schedule Manager resides in the SYSCHK1 dataset. Yes, you can copy this file using IDCAMS/REPRO to preserve the schedule information and also RDF tables and global variables.

Regards,

Mario

Carlos Mario Silveira Filho

Principal Support Engineer
    CA Technologies A Broadcom Company 

• 5.  Re: General question regarding migration

Posted Apr 10, 2019 10:20 AM

Thank You!