DX NetOps

• 1.  Alert Flooding Situation

Posted Apr 10, 2019 06:43 AM

Dear All,

I would like to know experts opinion about the how flooding is being handled in CA Spectrum. 

Query 1: Does it mean that below parameters should be setup for each of the devices modeled in the CA Spectrum?

traps_per_sec_storm_threshold - Default: 20 traps per second
    TrapStormLength - Default: 5 seconds

Query 2 : An environment has Primary (SS) and Backup (SS). All the devices are polled by Primary. Due to some issue on the operating system, primary goes down and backup starts polling to the devices. I am assuming that all the devices will be polled via Backup(SS) and will be done till Primary(SS) comes back.

After 1 Hour Primary(SS) comes up & starts polling, Will there be any  flooding, since Primary(SS) has come back?

I am considering that Backup has completed the polling to the devices and the next few minute Primary comes back. and will do the polling again.

If yes, then what will be the best way to approach this situation, or how people are addressing this in the current environment?

Any suggestions or pointers will be helpful.

Regards,

AK

• 2.  Re: Alert Flooding Situation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2019 01:35 PM

Hi AK,

Question 1:

Yes, each modeled device has its own values.
    For unmodeled device change on the VNM model. Applicable for all unmanaged devices. This would affect all unmodeled devices as the VNM would suppress traps for itself.

Question 2:

What kind of flooding are you referring to?

CA Spectrum 10.3.2 can now monitor the self-health of the SpectroSERVER and auto-heal if it's over-subscribed.

Thanks,

Silvio