Test Data Manager

• 1.  Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Apr 15, 2019 11:20 AM

Hi,

We are in the process of masking flat files from various different sources. One of the challenge we have now is to avoid the blank spaces in the flat file and to consider them as NULLS. Used couple of option from the options(BlanksAsNULLS & EMPTYASNULL) tab but those did not helped.

eg: email is blank in the original file. But in the masking routine we used CONCAT option to concatenate last name and the company domain and enabled the keep nulls & Use masked values options. The resultant masking output is considering the blank spaces as characters and producing a value.

Kindle let me know if there is any other option to handle this.

Thanks

Sethu 

• 2.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Jun 12, 2019 10:14 AM
    We got the input from @Scott Schmitz on how to handle this and it worked. Thank you Scott.​

• 3.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Jun 14, 2019 04:25 PM
    Do you mind posting/sharing the solution with me. We have similar masking requirements on our side as well

• 4.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Jun 14, 2019 05:14 PM
    Do you mind posting/sharing the solution with me. We have similar masking requirements on our side as well

• 5.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2019 09:32 AM
    You would use a WHERE condition to filter the specific blank fields.   e.g.   you have a character field ABC with length of 6, then the WHERE condition would have ABC <> '      '     (full width of field between the single quotes).

• 6.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Jun 17, 2019 10:01 AM
    Thank you Scott.

• 7.  RE: Handling blank spaces in Flat file masking

Posted Jun 17, 2019 12:40 PM
    Thank you Scott

Sent from my iPhone