CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Migration Approaches

• 1.  Migration Approaches

Posted Apr 22, 2019 11:46 AM

Hi Team,

Currently in our environment we are using r14.1 SD in AA configuration and below is the scenario:

1. Our organisation has two companies(eg: ABC & XYZ) who are currently using the same SD instance. Both companies have different set of categories. There is no multi-tenancy.

2. Now company XYZ is planning to have a separate r14.1 instance and they require all the data & configuration
    from the current SD to be made available in the new instance.

With regards to this, I would like to understand what all options of migration are available
    (to move it smoothly, without much issues).

As per my understanding there could be below approaches:

1. Swing Box
    - Perform Swing Box Steps
    - Delete all the data pertaining to company ABC.
    (Not sure how smoothly we can delete all the data related to ABC)

2. Replicating the server as is using any replication software & then run pdm_configure.

Please let me know if there are any other better approaches.

Also, please consider converting current AA configuration to Conventional Configuration for XYZ.
    (in this case, would there be major changes/will it affect the data?)

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted Apr 23, 2019 06:30 AM

• 3.  Re: Migration Approaches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2019 10:13 AM

Pushpith .....

The following documents the steps to convert from AA to Conventional architecture:

Convert from Advanced Availability to Conventional Configuration - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Docume… 

Either option you listed will provide the desired result of creating a new SDM instance. 

The trouble will be with the SDM data of company ABC.  You will not be able to simply delete the data of company ABC as some of it could be shared with company XYZ.  The best approach would be to simply deactivate the data and/or create data partitions to restrict access to the data.

• 4.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 01, 2019 01:07 PM

1. Can you please let me know what do you mean by deactivating the data and how to do the same? 

2. In the second approach(replicating the instance), would hostname cause an issue since the same would be in the registry setting and I'm not sure if running pdm_configure would suffice. Do you have any documents that I can refer to?

Thanks

• 5.  Re: Migration Approaches
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2019 02:11 PM

your approach seems to be fine except "

- Delete all the data pertaining to company ABC.

"

it seems you separate the two organizations by using different categories with DP and you will need to keep the DP. in fact, in order to make sure company XYZ does not see company ABC's tickets, you would need to exam the DP for XYZ and add some constraints if necessary.  

• 6.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 01, 2019 02:21 PM

Hi, As of now, I dont think there is any data partitions in place, since all the users are able to see the categories i.e. ABC can see XYZ's categories and vice versa. I believe only for certain access types we have added the DPs.

• 7.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 01, 2019 02:53 PM

Also I'm wondering with regards to the first approach what would be the best way to stop the notification triggering from the system post the pdm_configure. (like inactive the records in the dB before running pdm_configure or any other options?)

• 8.  Re: Migration Approaches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2019 08:25 AM

Pushpith .......

Please look at the following Community post for a couple of options to disable notifications

To Disable all CA notifications  

• 9.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 12, 2019 09:18 AM

Hi All,

Have few more queries,

1. If we convert the servers from AA to Conventional and I'm only installing one Primary server, will the end users be able to login to that server? or will there be a restriction like in Advanced availability, where only administrators can login to the background server?

2. Since we are taking the latest mdb backup from the production server and restoring in the new Server, do we have to still proceed with patch installation(Production version is 14.1.02) on the new servers? (My understanding is, that all the parameters would be in the dB & by restoring the latest mdb, your patch level will also be 14.1.02 instead of separately applying patch)

• 10.  Re: Migration Approaches

Broadcom Employee

• 11.  Re: Migration Approaches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2019 07:32 AM

Pushpith .........

For #2, yes you need to still apply the necessary patches after restoring MDB backup

• 12.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 15, 2019 11:48 AM

Hi, Just wanted to know if Windows Server 2016 is compatible with CA SD r14.1.02? I did check in supportability & highest version supported is 2012 is what I understand, just wanted to cross check.

• 13.  Re: Migration Approaches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2019 12:16 PM

Hi Pushpith,

If its not mentioned in the support matrix then its safe to avoid running that version on 2016. However, if you still wish to continue you can and in general theoretically it might work. Though you will not get much support due to the fact that the 14.1 is already EOS in 2018.

Note: 14.1 version is end of support on December 31, 2018 as per below document announcements.

https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/status/announcement-documents/2017/ca-service-management-14-1-products-end-of-service-announcement.html

• 14.  Re: Migration Approaches

Posted May 15, 2019 10:07 PM

If you encounter any issue on 2016 you can set the SQL compatibility level to 2012 on your database: View or Change the Compatibility Level of a Database - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs.  If you restore a 2012 DB to 2016 it may have that compatibility level set by default.

Regards,

James