CA Service Management

• 1.  No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted Apr 23, 2019 03:16 PM

Hello all,

I am looking to create a notification for when new contacts are created with incorrect or missing information, a message is to be sent to the creator of the contact which would be the analyst in the New Contact line of the Contact Activity Logs.  There are no out of box selections available for contact activity logs although they are available for ticket activity logs:

When attempting to make one, there is no selection for the Contact Activity Logs as an Object Type:

The final insult to injury is that, if I attempt to search for any that may exist (which they do not because they can't be made manually), it allows the Object Type to be referenced as a filter:

My question, of course, is how do I make an Object Contact Notification for the analyst of the Contact Activity Logs?  It seems as if all the references suggest that this is available, but the Object Type is missing to create it.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted Apr 24, 2019 02:53 AM

I don't think that's supported - the Contact Activity Logs don't log the creation of the object, but only ticket and session related activities:

• 3.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted Apr 24, 2019 09:33 AM

It actually does log new contact creation.  Your screen shot is of the Event Logs in a contact.  The tracking is done in the Activity Logs and is shown as New Contact (In tickets, it's marked as Initial).

• 4.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2019 10:04 AM

Metzger .....

Do you require any additional assistance on this topic?

• 5.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted May 08, 2019 01:56 PM

I do if possible.  I'm still unable to find any way to notify the creator of a Contact Record.  My attempts to customize something have shown...less than desirable results.

• 6.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted May 08, 2019 04:43 PM

On the cnt object there are attributes named last_mod_by and creation_user that are auto-populated. Unfortunately, they are defined as simple string attributes and not SRELs to the cnt object. However, that does not stop you from creating your own.

First, use the Schema Designer feature of Web Screen Painter to create a custom attribute (e.g. z_creation_user) that is an SREL to the cnt object and specify the initial value as USER (remember to publish):

Custom attribute

Next, create a Object Contact Notification to reference:

Object Contact Notification

Last, add the Object Contact Notification to the Default Initial Notification Rule for Contacts:

Default Initial Notification Rule for Contacts

• 7.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2019 02:51 PM

Hi Metzger,

May be try this trick and see if this is what you were looking for:

(1) Use the Web Screen Painter (WSP) to modify the detail_ntfl.htmpl file. Add one line as shown in the screen below just after the 'Contact' declaration.

Add:   "Contact Activity Log", "cntalg",

Save and publish the file (detail_ntfl.htmpl)

(2) Now add a new Object Contact Notification for Contact Activity Log. Choose the fields as follows (see highlighted attributes below:

Once this is created, now use the general procedure to configure the activity notification for "New Contact" activity.

(3) Now Update Object Contact in the Notification Rule for Contacts in "New Contact" activity:

(4) Now you get the option to choose the object contact. You should be able to see the one you created in Step (2) above. Select and click 'OK' to proceed.

Now the 'Contact Log Analyst' is added to the Object Contacts list.

(5) Verify that the Notification Rule Message Template "Auto Notification" is set to 'Yes'. If not, edit the message template and set it to 'Yes'. Default is 'No'. See below:

Now you are all set to test it out. Create a new user and see if the activity log analyst is getting the notification.

All the best.

Indrajit Banerjee.

• 8.  Re: No Object Type for Contact Activity Logs

Posted May 10, 2019 08:13 AM

Exactly what I was looking for Indrajit.  The ability to send messages to the analyst for ANY actions done in Contact Record logs is now part of my Service Desk arsenal.  Thanks to all for the help and direction!