Endevor

• 1.  obsolete question

Posted May 03, 2019 10:34 AM

On a transfer to the OBSOLETE Environment, is anyone moving (copying) anything other than the source module?  I'm unaware of any need, or best practice requiring copying all the additional output to OBSOLETE datasets.  e.g. Load, Obj, etc.

• 2.  Re: obsolete question
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 03, 2019 06:21 PM

Hi Felicity,

Some folks like to move the element's processor outputs - executable, listing,  to corresponding "obsolete" libraries when they transfer the obsolete element to the Obsolete Environment.  This is "just in case" it really isn't obsolete. This gives them an immediate recovery option. 

Make sense?

June

• 3.  Re: obsolete question

Posted May 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Makes sense.  Just wanted to see if there were any other reasons.  

• 4.  Re: obsolete question

Posted May 05, 2019 01:59 AM

It depends on the site really and everyone has the flexibility to decide what is best. It could even differ by system if you should prefer.

We do not allow any load, listings, etc to be copied into the obsolete Env. This forces our developers to run an element through the life cycle again if it is deemed it is actually still needed. Get a fresh compile/link and what not as well as get it back on their Auditor teams radar. If a system doesn't have Auditors, then it's not as big a deal, so we could be more flexible for those applications, but we apply the same rule site wide. 

• 5.  Re: obsolete question

Posted May 06, 2019 09:09 AM

I agree with Joe.

While on the surface retaining all the output components seems like a good idea, if you needed to return that program from OBSOLETE to live PROD after, say, 5 years, are you REALLY going to copy in those old LOADs, DBRMs, and other pieces? I highly doubt that.... 

So maybe a hybrid would make the most sense; save the source but only save the output components for a year... 

• 6.  Re: obsolete question

Posted May 09, 2019 01:26 PM

Hi Felicity,

we dont ahve an obsolete env.  The delete processor in production performs and archive step and copies the outputs to a corresponding .SAVE library.

Karen