DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Increasing CPU utilization on UIM primary hub

Posted May 12, 2019 04:45 PM

We're building a new UIM environment with 9.02.  We have not deployed the new SP1.  Watching our primary hub, we see CPU utilization growing every day.  After about 3 or 4 days, the server becomes almost unusable, and needs to be rebooted.  Looking at the running processes, we see expected results, PPM, Controller, Processes...  It looks like the controller process is what's growing the most.  Is this to be expected?

All of the servers are running Windows in a VMware environment.  We aren't seeing the same utilizations on other hubs or robot servers.

Thanks

Steve Moore

• 2.  Re: Increasing CPU utilization on UIM primary hub

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2019 06:20 PM

Known memory leak issue with robot v7.97. Robot 7.97 HF3 was created to address the memory leak.

https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/recommended-reading/technical-document-index/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-hotfix-index.html

• 3.  Re: Increasing CPU utilization on UIM primary hub

Posted May 13, 2019 01:53 PM

Yeah, we have the 7.97HF3 deployed for the robot.  And this is increased CPU utilization, not memory.  In fact, I was looking at some reports from the system over the weekend, and the higher the CPU climbed, it looks like the less memory was used.  After I restarted the robot, the CPU dropped back down and the memory shot up.  CPU utilization on the primary hub was over 40% when I restarted.

• 4.  Re: Increasing CPU utilization on UIM primary hub

Posted May 13, 2019 02:28 PM

Is there a specific process causing the high cpu? If it is a java probe you will have to keep an eye on how much

memory it is configured for. When a java probe runs out of memory it will continually run the garbage collector

routines causing it to run slow and utilize higher than normal cpu utilization. In cases like this the probe needs

to have its maximum memory increased.

• 5.  Re: Increasing CPU utilization on UIM primary hub

Posted May 13, 2019 03:25 PM

Thanks, that might be something to look at.  We see the top processes changing somewhat.  I used to see the mon_config_service probe all the time, and we turned that off.  Controller shows up regularly, along with Processes and PPM.  Other java processes as well.

Thanks

Steve Moore