DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

it is possible to have different database instances with same data engine for the same environment

• 1.  it is possible to have different database instances with same data engine for the same environment

Posted May 16, 2019 11:58 AM

Currently the instance is pointing to disk c: but for space and growth we need to point to disk d: Is this possible?

1-. What steps should I execute to do it in case it is positive?
    2-. If possible, do I lose historical data?

Thanks in advance for what you can help us

• 2.  Re:  it is possible to have different database instances with same data engine for the same environment

Posted May 16, 2019 03:45 PM

You don't indicate what database you are using.

Regardless, the only thing that cares where on the file system the database is, is the the database server. So, just use the tools for your specific database technology to move the files.

MS SQL for instance supports having the files pretty much anywhere - so you can use the space on C: and when you're full on C: you can add files on D:. In fact, MS usually recommends that you put log and data files on different physical devices anyway. Or offline the database, move the files, edit the database to reflect the new location, then online the database.

https://www.google.com/search?q=move+mssql+database+to+another+drive&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS834US834&oq=move+mssq&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.4928j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And I think that your picture is likely wrong - usually the primary hub has most of the active connections to the database - that is unless the "proxy server" is a network device of yours and not a UIM device.

• 3.  RE: it is possible to have different database instances with same data engine for the same environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2019 02:26 AM
    @Yunis with respect to your  2nd Question  " If possible, do I lose historical data? ",   do you mean HN_QOS_DATA_% tables?
    If yes, the data retention will be based on parameter : delete_history_samples  in the data_engine.cfg file. for e.g if delete_history_samples=120 means Historical data will be retained for 120 days only.

as @Garin Walsh already mentioned, please create secondary datafiles with filegroups in other drive where space available. make sure the naming convention followed while creating secondary data files  to differentiate from primary datafiles. the file extention for secondary data files would be *.ndf.
    generally the file extension for primary datafiles would be *.mdf.

For Oracle, datafiles can be created where space available in the drive.

Please let me know if any questions.