DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CEM and Introscope Integration

Posted Jun 01, 2010 07:45 PM
    Want to know if somone has used the CEM and the Java agent and Epagent and integrated them together and if there are good success stories and what it resolved.

I am looking for docs,best practises,gotchas when you do this .I noticed there is a pbd file but couldnt find it in my install

# CEM Tracer
    #
    # Enable this PBD for CEM integration. It aggregates and reports metrics # according to CEM Application and Business Transaction hierarchy.
    # ================

#CEMTracer.pbd

• 2.  RE: CEM and Introscope Integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2010 09:03 AM
    There is an OOTB integration for CEM and Introscope. It can be downloaded from the CEM download site. There you find CEMIntroscopeIntegrationKits for unix and windows. This integration kit contains the CEMTracer.pbd.

Best regards,
    Guenter

• 3.  RE: CEM and Introscope Integration
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 07, 2010 10:55 AM
    CEM and Introscope integrate with each other with some simple configuration. Its covered in the docs but the high level methodology is:

1. We use LDAP authentication so I had to first create a service account in LDAP. call it WilyInt or something else if you prefer.

2. Configure the TEM as a Virtual Agent on the Introscope EM.

Locate the <Introscope_EM_Home>/config/agentclusters.xml file.*

» Important{*} Wily CEM TESS can be configured to connect either to a single Wily Introscope Enterprise Manager, or to a MOM Enterprise Manager. If you have multiple Enterprise Managers in your Wily Introscope environment, you must modify only the MOM's agentclusters.xml file.

Uncomment the relevant CEM agent lines in the agentclusters.xml

<agent-cluster name="CEM Agent" domain="SuperDomain">
    <agent-specifier>.*\|.*\|.*</agent-specifier>
    <metric-specifier>Customer Experience\|.*</metric-specifier>
    </agent-cluster>
    * » Important{*} Do not change the name or domain attributes, or the integration will not function correctly. 3 Save your changes to the agentclusters.xml file.
    There is no need to restart the Enterprise Manager for this change.

3. Setup Wily CEM to communicate with Introscope:

A Select Setup > Plug-ins. The Plug-ins page appears.

B Select Wily Introscope.

The Wily Introscope Plug-in page appears. Start by configuring the Enterprise Manager.

C Hostname — type the host name or IP address of the Wily Introscope Enterprise Manager.*

» Important{*} Wily CEM TESS can be configured to connect either to a single Wily Introscope Enterprise Manager, or to a MOM Enterprise Manager.

If you have multiple Enterprise Managers in your Wily Introscope environment, you need to enter the MOM's information here.

D Port — type the port where Wily CEM connects to the Enterprise Manager.

The Enterprise Manager is configured to listen for agents and workstations. The default port number for the Enterprise Manager is 5001.

E User Name — type the user name that Wily CEM uses to access the Wily Introscope Enterprise Manager.*

» Note{*} This user login needs read and run tracer permissions in the appropriate domain, which is the super domain by default.

Use: wilyint

F Password — type the associated password.

Use: PASSWORD

G Version — select the version of Wily Introscope for the Enterprise Manager.

» Important When you change the Enterprise Manager Version number, this will cause the TESS to restart the next time you click the Save Settings button. When you upgrade to Wily CEM 4.2, the default setting is 7.2. This option should be used only when you upgrade your Enterprise Manager from 7.2 to 8.0.

H Click Save Settings.

Wily CEM saves the Enterprise Manager configuration information.

Now copy the CEMTracer.pbd to all your Java Agents home directories and either: add it to your directives or uncomment it from the weblogic/tomcat_typical.pbd file.

This last step allows you to see detailed info in the CEM on WHERE each request went.

Now how do I use it? I have a single Console created that shows the status of all my servers (22 in total). under this status I have the LIVE usage data comming in from CEM. So on a single console I can see load, usage and status at a glance. In turn I can see which servers are recieving the requests form incoming users (too cool!) and what Portal/Weblogic servers are taking on the highest loads. Drilling down in I can then correlate load to specific java calls (mostly httpinterpreter).

• 4.  RE: CEM and Introscope Integration

Posted Jun 07, 2010 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the details explanation . That was helpful . I am going to try it out soon . If possible you should share your cool dashboard !