Clarity

• 1.  RE: Reports and Jobs related query

Posted Aug 30, 2011 05:50 AM
    No - not simply.

but

Yes- (with a little bit of technical effort on your side) - through a number of ways;

The Clarity job can be / call a;

a) A Clarity GEL script
    b) A Java routine
    c) A database stored-procedure
    or
    d) something else I don't immediately think of

all of which can then influence the underlying o/s in some way.

For EXAMPLE below is a thread talking about a GEL solution (calling a BAT script);

...but of course you should use whichever is most appropriate and be sensitive to WHERE in the architecture such a "job" would be running (eg. GEL/Java will be running in the Application Server tier of your BG service, the database SP solution running on your database tier, etc)

• 2.  RE: Reports and Jobs related query

Posted Aug 30, 2011 07:32 AM
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have one requirement in which source is the flat file (data content is delimited by "|" ) which need to be read and upload data after validation into clarity system. For this, I thought performance perspective UNIX scripting is the best option to perform file operation to accomplish this requirement, however I don't have solution on calling UNIX scripting from clarity application.

UNIX scripting also take care to log rejection in a file for future reference. Could you please advice how this requirement is achieved from clarity?

Regards,
    Lohith

• 3.  RE: Reports and Jobs related query

Posted Aug 30, 2011 07:45 AM

lohithhr wrote:

I have one requirement in which source is the flat file (data content is delimited by "|" ) which need to be read and upload data after validation into clarity system. For this, I thought performance perspective UNIX scripting is the best option to perform file operation to accomplish this requirement
    I agree with you 100%; use Unix for simple file manipulation at o/s level every time!

lohithhr wrote:

however I don't have solution on calling UNIX scripting from clarity application.
    As I tried to reply earlier; we can't just call a Unix script from a Clarity job. Clarity is only talking to the application server and it does not really "know" anything about the underlying operating system (or where YOU have decided to deploy YOUR Clarity servers - Unix / Windows / etc)

lohithhr wrote:

Could you please advice how this requirement is achieved from clarity?
    However, YOU know a bit more than Clarity does.... YOU know where your Unix server is (for example I don't; I don't know where your Clarity servers are (Windows/Unix), I don't know where your database server is (Windows/Unix) - I'll assume at least one of your servers is a Unix server (but even then that might not be true?))

So I have tried to give you the "tools" to work out what YOU can build (that can be initiated as a Clarity 'job') which can "host out" to the operating system (in some manner). The solution that is appropriate to YOU depends on YOUR system configuration.

--

Alternatively, have you considered ignoring Clarity totally for this - control everything from Unix / Unix job schedulers etc and just "call" Clarity from Unix when you need to?