IDMS

• 1.  Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 12, 2011 01:47 PM
    Hi,

I have some users who would like to generate reports on their 21 gigabyte database within IDMS. We are on Release 17. We don't have the SQL option. They are looking to retire the schema but would like to have some sort of soft copy laying out the data in this schema. There are 90 records. Fairly complex set connections. Other than Culprit or a Cobol Program what other options might they have. I also think generating reports on 21 gigabytes is a bit much. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tim

• 2.  RE: Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 12, 2011 06:46 PM
    Tim - are you / your users looking for Schema Record and Set Definitions - or a complete extract of the database? If the latter I suggest you talk to one of the[b] 3rd party "replication" vendors who may be able to do a[b] "once off" extract, or even complete[b] once off ETL to a nominated platform - without the ongoing replication.

HTH - cheers - Gary

• 3.  RE: Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 13, 2011 02:35 PM
    The users want to actually generate reports on all of the data contained in the database. Not the schema or set definitions. No one here is very well versed in Culprit. I've already reached out to several vendors but most of the prices I've been quoted are far to much for a 1 time report generation. Based on your responses, looks like someone is going to have to brush up on their Culprit. I will also look into OLQ batch and see what I can get out of that. Thank you all for you responses.

Tim

• 4.  RE: Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 12, 2011 07:01 PM
    You can stop at CULPRIT - there IS no other option .......

Well maybe - OLQ batch or ... in an UNLOAD output in readable format?

Chris Hoelscher
    IDMS & DB2 Database Administrator
    502-476-2538

• 5.  RE: Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 13, 2011 04:00 PM
    Tim's post is a bit vague. What is meant by "reports" and "soft copy"? Chris is correct that the CULPRIT is probably best for reporting. But for flat file dumps of data to another system, perhaps DEMI/DB may be better.

Dan Miley

• 6.  RE: Generating Reports on an IDMS schema

Posted Sep 13, 2011 03:18 PM
    Unless there are plans to get rid of IDMS, why move the data out of IDMS.
    You can remove the application code from the CV, keep the areas off-line or have a special DMCL that has just those areas and files. If you keep the schema, subschemas and reporting programs you can always run the reports in local mode.

If the plan is to extract the data into flat files, you will have all the same problems as if you were migrating the database to a relational database. You will need new programs to extract the data and generate reports.