Clarity

• 1.  Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 23, 2010 02:49 PM
    Hi,

we now focusing on the resource planning portlet for our v12 Resource Mgmt.we have not used in 7.5.2.i need some understanding about the below fields / queries used in the resource planning portlets.

1. Include To-be-hired Resources -->Resource Planning - Capacity - OBS - Role capacity - Resource Aggregation --what this field ‘Include To-be-hired Resources’  Denotes.How & where can we use this?

2. Resource OBS Type --> Resource Planning - Capacity - OBS Resource Aggregation --> This field when we click is showing all the OBS ,Hope it should show the obs associated with the resource OBS Only?.In what way it helps the users?

3. Resource OBS (Aggregation) --> How can use it effectively.

4. In the Resource Planning Portlets Like Booking Status , Unfilled Allocation etc we can't use the OBS in the power filter(when you choose it will show
    no values -->an Bug) .So how you are handling it? Example -->when you want to use multiple conditions in 2 OBS(we have 2 Obs for resources).

Cheers,
    Sundar

• 2.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 23, 2010 03:11 PM
      |   view attached
    This is hard for me to write up, I can show you how we are starting to use it.

To answer your first question in regards to the Include to be hired Resources, depending on how you set up your resources this will include resources with no hire dates.

I can set up sometime to show you how we configure our screens. For the Capacity Tab our Senior Directors would be interested in the OBS Resource Agg portlets because they can see their resources across their OBS units they can view Capacity, Allocation, Actuals, Capacity-Allocation and etc. This can be viewed by FTE or hours.

I have some documentation as well from with screenshots

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 24, 2010 09:02 AM
    Tammi,

Thanks for your snapshots.

i will have a look and need to play on these attributes.The real thing is how efficiently we can use these portlets as we are planning to use RM at fullest level.(Demand vz supply etc).

cheers,
    sundar

• 4.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 25, 2010 03:59 AM
    I've not used these portlets "in anger", but I have spent some time trying to work out how they all work and how they could be used in my organisation(s). (But we have not rolled their usage out to end-users yet)

My overriding impression was that they can not deliver any useful information unless the rest of your Clarity governance is right - but if your Clarity governance is right, then these portlets deliver some really interesting and powerful analysis and information.

Also - the "out of the box" setup of all the portlets is probably NOT at all useful for you; you have to really understand what the portlets do and get that to fit YOUR governance model (the way you use YOUR OBS's, the way YOU do resource management, allocation, estimates etc). The users of these portlets must be really familiar with reconfiguring Clarity portlets (especially time-scaled-values fields) to get the most out of them. If they are not, then the best you can hope for is making one centrally pre-configured view of the portlets; but you are losing out on a lot of the power of the functionality then.

I was most interested in the "Weekly Details" portlet - I found I could do a lot of interesting analysis using that one.

--

YOU as the Clarity admin will have to put a lot of work in at the functional level to get the best out of them though, perhaps involving key "really Clarity-smart" business users too.

?

• 5.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 25, 2010 08:51 AM
    I found the Weekly Detail to give the most value. Agree with Dave in that converting the colors to numbers probably helps most; along with changing the time scale to agree with how you monitor allocations (designed based on allocations; not ETC, but ETC does show as an option). I had it configured to show allocations and availability and then used the overallocation threshold to pull all resources overallocated based on mgmt's threshold. We compared the allocation to the availability.
    This itself helped to bring out any scheduling errors (like scheduled 80 hr ETC in one day).. I had the allocations set to link to Resource Utilization>prefiltered and that allowed me to drill down specifically to that resource's task.

the pitfall- (well pitfall depending on how you use it) you cannot really use this to see what you entire team (i.e an OBS) is working on ,because if 3 resources are working on the same project, that project is listed 3 times.. as the portlet is resource driven.

I never really liked the workloads only because you cannot see the actual project they are working on; rather you see the icon, but as Dave referred to-- it really depends on what your processes are for resource management.

The capcacity portlet-- really helps you if you are good about selecting roles then replacing them with people. It sees what projects (count) are requesting the roles and matches it to your resource load (who has that role as their primary role) to see what you have in "demand" (projects) and what you have available (resource primary role)

hope that helps some

• 6.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Jun 25, 2010 01:12 PM
    Thanks Dave and Lynn for your valuable inputs.

we are going for an Big Bang Approach (From 7.5.2 to v12 sp 6).we earlier use only Time sheets,Project management and Financial management and an minimal Resource Management.we have customized to a maximum in our Financial Management to suit our Finance needs that have made our life very difficult.Due to that we are facing lot of issues and slowly we started addressing on them and also we have tons of custom Extracts and Reports which we are working for our Migration.Now the business decides to use Demand,Resource management,portfolio Management to the fullest level.

After v12 upgrade Hope the users(mainly PM / RM) will suddenly find that they need to spend a quite an amount of work and need to be familiar with new functionality.The training is the key here.

Yes we have an very good PMO team who support business users functionally,they are also working Hard.

i didn't have enough time playing the Resource Planning portlets.Already i have started working on that and hope soon we might be comfortable with this module. :grin:

Cheers,
    sundar

• 7.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Nov 02, 2011 11:46 PM
    Dear all

Often in the system portlets, we find fields (e.g. in the Team tab) -

Aggregate Allocation (Compare To)
    Aggregate Hard Allocation (Compare To)
    Allocation (Compare To)
    Avail Finish (Compare To)
    Avail Start (Compare To)
    Average Allocation Percent (Compare To)
    Default Allocation (Compare To)
    Hard Allocation Finish (Compare To)
    Hard Allocation Start (Compare To)
    Hard-Booked Allocation (Compare To)
    Other Allocation (Compare To)
    Other Hard Allocation (Compare To)
    Under-allocation (Compare To)
    Unused Allocation (Compare To)

1. How are these fields used / calculated ?
    2. I cannot find any difference in let's say the Allocation and the Allocation (Compare To) fields.

Has anyone used them before, or has some knowledge on these fields ?

Regards
    NJ

• 8.  RE: Resource Planning Portlets - Need Clarification

Posted Nov 16, 2011 05:54 PM
    Hi NJ,

Did you ever get feedback from anyone on these fields? I'm also curious about how they are used...

Best,
    Rachel