suep

Microsoft Project and Clarity

Discussion created by suep on Sep 23, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 by forty2j
We are just starting to incorporate use of MSP by our project managers. Several questions I'd like to pose to those of you that have done this before:

1. CA has documentated some mandatory and recommendationed configuration settings. How do sites manage their distribution for MSP so that every time someone opens a project in MSP, they get the correct settings, without everyone having to go into MSP and make these configuration changes. Of course we can't prevent them from changing the configuration in MSP for an individual project, but we want to make it difficult for them to do so. This should be true both for the initial time after creating a project in Clarity that they open it in MSP, as well as subsequent openings of the project plan.

2. We have a few of our specific custom attributes we want to map to Project and Task attributes for every project and every task. Can we make sure that users always get these mappings when they click open with Microsoft project, and the views are updated to display these custom attributes? I was able to map attributes without issue, but I had to modify the views when I opened a new project. When I saved the view to the global.mpp, and then opened another project, the new view was there by name, but it did not contain the attributes that had been configured in the other project.

3. Do any of your project managers have a much more detailed plan in MSP than they do in Clarity? How do you manage this so that the two plans stay in synch, but the nitty gritty details of the "private" plan not be shared, since users will be charging time only to the higher level tasks, not the nitty gritty ones?

Outcomes