Clarity

• 1.  12.1.2 & Open Workbench 1.2.1 speed test results

Posted Oct 04, 2011 10:17 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi folks.
    Using a thread here to post some test results for a LinkedIn discussion - I hope other OWB shops find this valuable.

There is a bugfix in 12.1.2 for OWB that conceptually should speed up saves. I ran tests yesterday to try to ascertain real world numbers.

The issue:
    CLRT-58507 - OWB: Saving a project back results in extraneous saves even for objects that did not change, resulting in increased blocking and performance issues.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Activate sql tracing
    2) Open a simple project in OWB that has 1 task, 1 assignment and 1 resource
    3) Without making any changes save the project back
    4) Observe the sql trace.

Expected Result: Very few updates should be generated, and certainly no updates to assignments and tasks.
    Actual Result: Updates to 17 tables are generated

About the test:
    - The test system was a Development server running on old hand-me-down hardware. Our production architecture is 4 times faster.
    - I selected 14 projects with a mix of task counts and resources. This is not apples to apples where each task has identical number of assignments, this was a mix.
    - The top two projects are masters with subs, with the subs set to open read-only. The first number is the task count from the master, the second is the cumulative from the subs.
    - 20 tasks were 'dirtied' on each project. I ran at least two saves each. If the numbers were dissimilar I executed 5 saves and recorded the mode.

[size=4]Results: I'm seeing on average a 200% decrease in save times from Workbench back to Clarity with 12.1.2 over 12.1.[size]

This will provide immediate value to our organization. Thanks to all at CA who've worked on this. Although we 'use' Clarity, the truth is that Workbench is where 80% of the day-in day-out 'tool time' work happens; and little enhancements here - where my customers live and work - provide the greatest benefit and cast a good halo effect for Clarity.

• 2.  RE: 12.1.2 & Open Workbench 1.2.1 speed test results

Posted Oct 04, 2011 10:44 AM
    Great analysis Rob - and good to promote a service pack fix that has such a great benefit! :grin:

• 3.  RE: 12.1.2 & Open Workbench 1.2.1 speed test results

Posted Oct 04, 2011 09:29 AM
    Thanks Rob,

just wondering if that will have any effect on MS Project performance.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: 12.1.2 & Open Workbench 1.2.1 speed test results

Posted Oct 06, 2011 12:02 PM
    Great info Rob! Thanks for posting!

Chris