Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

• 1.  How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 13, 2010 06:40 PM
    We're on Clarity v8.1.03. Resources have access rights to enter timesheets ("Resource - Enter Time") and "Timesheets-Navigate", however when they navigate to timesheets, they can only see timesheets posted for Open time periods. (At the end of each month, we close the previous timesheet period).

Resource Managers on the other hand, have Approval rights for timesheets - and they can see all timesheets, whether the period is closed (or not).

We need the ability for Resources themselves to be able to see their own historical posted timesheets - but cannot seem to find any access right to be able to allow this. (We do not want to give them "Approve" rights - which when given, appear to allow them to see historical posted data.

Ideally this should be off the "Timesheet" navigation. Obviously we're aware we could probably write a query/portlet to do this, but that seems overkill for something that is (hopefully) out-of-the-box.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 14, 2010 02:48 AM
    You've already got the answer as far the rights are concerned. There is no other way.
    If you do not want to give approve timesheets right then the option is to create portlets.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 20, 2010 11:39 AM
    I know in Clarity 12 you can still view timesheets for closed time reporting periods.

Filter on the closed periods by using the 'From' and 'To' under the 'Dates' filter, and press Filter.

The list generated will show the Resource, ID, Period Start, Timesheet Status, Adjusted, Adjustment, and Total fields. In the Period Start field the word '(Closed)' is displayed, and 'Posted' will show in the 'Timesheet Status' field if it was posted. You can click on the clock icon next to the name to view the contents of the timesheet. An alert will be displayed stating "TMA-0116: This timesheet's time period is closed."

Regards,
    Michael Thibault

• 4.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 21, 2010 07:05 PM
    "in v12 you can see closed timesheets" - Is this available without the resource having "Timesheet - Approval" rights?
    Ideally I want the view of timesheets to be pretty much identical to the view you get when you have approval rights (ie., navigation from Timesheets menu item, "Clock" icon clickable to open the selected timesheet, etc.) - but not have Approve/Return rights over the timesheet.

Currently without the "Approval" right, our resources cannot see any historical timesheets they created.
    THanks.

• 5.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 22, 2010 09:54 AM
    Sorry, I mis-read your original post. I owe you a beer at the next CA World.

You'll need to create a portlet. Sorry.

Or have somer administrative process where a resource requests their prior timesheets from someone who has the appropriate access rights. Or better still, the resource is responsible for making a copy of the approved timesheet and store it locally.

• 6.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 22, 2010 08:18 PM
    Thanks all.
    Another organization offered the following 'tip/trick'...and it works a treat, and we've just implemented it.

Follow these steps:

1. Create a “dummy” resource (do not open them up for time entry)
    2. Within the admin side of Clarity, lookup the “dummy” resource
    3. Under "Access to this Resource", click OBS Unit
    4. Click add and select “Resource – Approve Time”.
    5. Select the highest level of OBS where all the resources are assigned and make sure the OBS Association Mode is Unit and Descendants.

That’s it! Now when the real resource logs in, they can view their own timesheets for closed time periods. This is because they technically have authority rights to a resource (even though that 'dummy' resource will never lodge a timesheet or login).

The user does not have to log in as dummy user. They will log in as themselves. We have implemented this and works fine.
    The dummy resource has time approval access to all the resources in the entire OBS but cannot log in or do time entry so does not actually do any harm. The other resources being part of the OBS are now able to see their historical time without giving any extra security.
    The dummy user doesn't need any other special access other the one mentioned above.

• 7.  Re: RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted May 08, 2015 01:45 PM

Marlon,

We are at 13.3 of PPM and we are On Demand.  Our users cannot view time sheets from closed periods since we upgraded from 12.2 to 13.3.    I have implemented your suggested solution below

1. Created a new dummy resource (named Timesheet Approver) and set the status to 'Lock'

2. I did add 'Resource - Approve time' with a company wide access OBS level under the 'Access to this Resource' tab.

3.  I did confirm that I clicked Save and Return after making these changes.

My users are STILL UNABLE to view time sheets from 'Closed' periods.  I am hopiing that I overlooked some thing but I have gone over your instructions many times.  Does it take some time for these changes to be applied? 

• 8.  RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Jul 21, 2010 05:14 AM
    Hi

As stated correctly by Michael, you can filter on the closed periods by using the 'From' and 'To' under the 'Dates' filter, and press Filter.

The list generated will show the Resource, ID, Period Start, Timesheet Status, Adjusted, Adjustment, and Total fields. In the Period Start field the word '(Closed)' is displayed, and 'Posted' will show in the 'Timesheet Status' field if it was posted. You can click on the clock icon next to the name to view the contents of the timesheet. An alert will be displayed stating "TMA-0116: This timesheet's time period is closed."

Regards
    NJ

• 9.  Re: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Apr 16, 2015 04:59 PM

I am trying to implement this workaround.  After creating the dummy user, I click on OBS unit and select 'Resource - approve time' but I DO NOT have summary level for the 'Resource - approve time' right.  There is only one entry for each Resource Manager.  Can I use some other OBS unit that does have an all-inclusive summary OBS level?

Thanks

dennis b

• 10.  Re: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Apr 16, 2015 05:58 PM

Can you give a screenshot to illustrate that.

One point is to have the approve time right at something.

Then to make that something as negligent as you can.

Finally to make it as easy as possible to get the right.

In practice that means giving approve time right to a locked (or even inactive resource if I recall correctly)

Then give that right to an OBS unit to which everybody normally belongs. That would be then the normal OBS at top level and the mode unit and descendants for those who not associated to the top unit.

• 11.  Re: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Apr 16, 2015 06:00 PM

.. basically you could give the right to each user  directly to approve the time of the dummy user, but that would be an additional step compared to giving it through the normal OBS.

A group to which everybody belongs is another option.

• 12.  Re: RE: How resource can see past (closed) timesheets ??

Posted Apr 22, 2015 03:40 PM

Hi,

We want to implement the same solution to view the past timesheet (closed time period) but it is not working.

Steps:-

1. Create a dummy resource (not open for time entry)

2. Added "Instance level - Resource Approve Time" to dummy resource in Basic user group.

3. Assigned the group to timesheet user.

4. Login with timesheet user but Timesheet Page View is same.

Please let me know what i am missing here.

Thanks

HT