DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  IS agent memory usage. Insane or to be expected?

Posted Jul 15, 2010 04:54 AM
    Hi guys,

One of my customers asked me the other day: What does it cost me to run introscope within my application? And since I have never really checked it myself I thought I'd do that now, so I know for the future.

I did a simple 'Run application with and without Introscope' comparison with two of my applications. I picked a small application and a bigger one.

There were no suprises in CPU usage or response times.

But the difference in memory usage (RSS) was disturbing.

Server 1 without Introscope: 166 MB
    Server 1 with Introscope and 900 metrics: 235 MB

Server 2 without Introscope: 993 MB
    Server 2 with Introscope and 120 metrics: 1459 MB

This means an increase in RSS between 42 - 46 % just for starting the agent. There has been no user activity yet.

The Introscope version is 8.0.2 and running on Linux/Websphere running on a z10.

Does anyone here have done a similar evaluation? Did you get similar results or maybe even different results?

I am very interested to hear from you.

Cheers,
    Goran

Server 2 RSS with and without Introscope agent
    [center][center]

Metric count for Server 2
    [center][center]

• 2.  RE: IS agent memory usage. Insane or to be expected?

Posted Jul 19, 2010 09:52 AM
    Hi Goran,

I've got memory leaks with Introscope agent version older than 8.0.3 on Linux.
    The couse of issue was library for linux platform monitoring (but not only RED HAT):
    https://support.wilytech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2301
    You can try on test environment run agent without any platform libraries (delete all lib....jar and lib....so files from ext directory) and comment out them in Introscope.properties or you can try newer than 8.0.2 agent version. I'am using 8.2.2.0 agent and there is no problems.

Regards
    Michal

• 3.  RE: IS agent memory usage. Insane or to be expected?

Posted Jul 20, 2010 04:55 AM
    Thanks for the answer.

It is the instant memory usage after the start of the JVM I am after.

At this moment I am running tests with IS v8.0.5.

Although I'd still like to hear from other people what their memory overhead for an agent is. Especially right after the start of the JVM.

• 4.  RE: IS agent memory usage. Insane or to be expected?

Posted Jul 21, 2010 11:54 PM
    I had the same situation before and the answer was that is a normal behavior for the 8.x version..
    Consulting the .profile you can see:

###############################
    #Agent Memory Overhead Setting
    #
    # =======================
    # Set to true if you want to reduce the agent memory overhead introduced by architectural improvements to the 8.x Agent.
    # The trade-off for lower memory consumption is a possible increase in response time.
    # This property is set to false by default and out of the box is commented out. This is not a hot property
    # and the managed application needs to be restarted for this flag to take effect.

#introscope.agent.reduceAgentMemoryOverhead=true

Hope to help you..

Regards,
    Alexandre