IDMS

• 1.  Re:Re: Is this difficult?

Posted Mar 31, 2008 09:32 AM
    Well, in regards to L2 CA support et al, I dont think any of them had
    IDMS experience at user sites in the first place. I've heard one of
    their managers comment that it's impossible to find local BAL expertise.
    I doubt that they'll find it in India either. CA's management, and
    Cullinet for that, reasoning has always escaped me, but I think it may
    be safe to say that the IDMS folks do not drive CA corporate management
    decisions in Islandia.

Lutz Petzold
    TDM UDB/IDMS Support
    (401) 782 2265 or (860) 636 0291
    Pager (860) 366 0865 or Telalert

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
    you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
    sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
    Thank you. Aetna
    "
    IDMS Public Discussion Forum
    IDMS-L@LISTSERV.IUASSN.COM
    SMTP
    SMTP

Normal

Normal
    Re: Is this difficult?
    "I LOVE IDMS.

I am jumping in late - so I haven't had a chance to read the other dozen + comments.?
    ?
    And the reason is ironic - I am working as an Oracle developer and
    I have just worked 15 hours each day since?Friday.?

You now how . . .
    ""The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ""
    Benjamin Franklin

Well that means Oracle and Windows, etc. MAKES YOU INSANE!!! I have found numerous?cases where YES when you do the?EXACT SAME THING with the EXACT SAME DATA. . you get DIFFERENT RESULTS.???

And as an IDMS'er since 1984 - I've heard people say that before. And I usually take it with a grain of salt - and in the IDMS world I have never seen it.?
    Usuall what you find is:
    One of my users (20 yrs ago at a still current IDMS shop) freaked and started yelling at me that our report and data were wrong because the data on his hard-copy report didn't match IDMS.? And that IDMS must not work right.? ?But then I discovered after he repeatedly denied updating anything, that? the data was time stamped(an update)?a couple hours earlier AND?that he was showing me a report from the PRIOR week and he was the one who had updated the data that very morning.?? Um-the bonehead(?) was mad that the report he had - which he had for over week -?did not reflect the data/updates that he finally acknowledged making THAT VERY MORNING.? I guess it was my/IDMS's that data changes are not imprinted on previously printed reports!!?? (That wuld be an interesting trick.)

But no I am POSITIVE, and other?people here have witnessed this one, that :?

The lastest one is in?a built in Oracle function/procedure ?to move a file from?one directory/file name to another.? After over 20 attempts it finally worked with the same files and directories and noone changed the permission.? When I tried to recreate it, it did not work for at least 5 more times, THEN it?did for a couple, etc, etc.
    And people in these environs think this garbage is NORMAL.

How I would love to introduce them to IDMS!!!

Cindy Kline