Clarity

• 1.  Time Scaled Data - How to Increase

Posted Aug 06, 2010 01:02 PM
    I'm hoping that someone can tell me how I might go about increasing the amount of Time Scaled data that is available to a portlet using a System Data Provider as it's data source. I'm trying to show daily availability and I can do it using a system data provider but it is only showing me 4 weeks worth of data (1 back, Current week, 2 forward). I would like to increase this to say a year forward and a year back. Is that possible ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

• 2.  RE: Time Scaled Data - How to Increase

Posted Aug 06, 2010 01:20 PM
    Hello,

We do not typically recommend expanding the internal slices beyond their current ranges. These are set to the current ranges by design as to prevent performance issues in Clarity. You have the potential to expand your external slices which are visible via the Timeslice Management page but the internal slices not visible on this page are not meant to be altered. The external slices were designed to handle these types of needs (wider ranges) and custom portlets/reports can be built off their data.

Now, with that said... there is an approved "extension" package available via support (just log a case and request to have it delivered) which will enable you to extend these internal slice ranges a bit wider. Development approved this range as an alternative to what we offer out-of-the-box but that's pretty much "the limit" as anything larger would start to affect performance throughout the application.

Here are the default and extended ranges for comparison.
    The out-of-the-box internal timeslice range was as follows:

28 Daily - One week in the past, the current week and 3 weeks in the future
    16 Weekly - 2 weeks in the past, the current week and 13 weeks in the future
    36 Monthly - 4 quarters in the past, the current quarter and 7 quarters in
    the future

The new internal timeslice range will be as follows:

42 Daily - One week in the past, the current week and 4 weeks in the future
    44 Weekly - 4 weeks in the past, the current week and 40 weeks in the future
    51 Monthly - 4 quarters in the past, the current quarter and 12 quarters in
    the future

Hope this helps!
    --Kathy

• 3.  RE: Time Scaled Data - How to Increase

Posted Aug 06, 2010 01:49 PM
    Kathy,
    This is very helpful information ! I will look into getting the extention.

This leads me to another question... How would I go about building a "time scaled" fielded in my portlet using the other Availability time slices ? The ones I have control over. We do capture additional data there. For example the DAILYRESOURCEAVAILCURVE we capture 6 months back and 2 years forward.

I really liked the Time Scaled feature that was given when I built my portlet using the sytem data provider... the only road block I hit was the limited data. If I could get around that problem I would be golden.

When I tried to do the same portlet using the Resource Object (rather than the system data provider) it would not give me the "Time Scale Value" option when I tried to create a new field. Any other thoughts ?

Thanks,
    Ben