TomConnery

OBS XML to Allow Overwrite/Replacement

Discussion created by TomConnery on Aug 18, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 by brendanj1
One of the technical issues I needed to resolve at CA World this year was our organization's OBS feed. We were updating the Clarity OBS manually by using the GUI to delete the existing OBS and then Xogged in the latest version.

Working with CA Support, they informed me of a switch or XML element to use that will allow an OBS in Clarity to be completely replaced or overwritten. After speaking to a vendor/contractor at CA World who had a similar problem, I figured it was a good idea to share this simple solution with the community.

Please examine the INITIAL xml code below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<NikuDataBus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_obs.xsd">

<Header version="8.1.0.03.4373" externalSource="NIKU" action="write" objectType="obs"/>

<obsTypes>

<obs code="z_obs_name" name="Company Name for OBS" isSecurity="false">

<level depth="1" name="Company Level 1"/>

<level depth="2" name="Company Level 2"/>

Now, look at the one added element that allows the OBS to be replaced:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<NikuDataBus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_obs.xsd">

<Header version="8.1.0.03.4373" externalSource="NIKU" action="write" objectType="obs"/>

<obsTypes>

<obs code="z_obs_name" name="Company Name for OBS" isSecurity="false" [size=5][color=#002DDC]complete="true"[color][size]>

<level depth="1" name="Company Level 1"/>

<level depth="2" name="Company Level 2"/>

As long as your OBS code and name are the same, the complete="true" code should completely overwrite your existing OBS with a new version.

Maybe everyone already knows this but me, either way, I thought I'd share.

The old OBS replace process was manual for us and this simple fix allowed me to script an end-to-end automated feed solution for our OBS, resource, contractor, and termination data. A nice business process improvement for the enterprise.

Maybe this can help you too!

Outcomes