AnsweredAssumed Answered

Allocation Versus Assigned (OTB Resource Assignments Report)

Question asked by cshah on Dec 12, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 by another_martink
Hello,

I am trying (and hoping someone out there can explain) to clearly understand the definition of allocation and assignment in order to better analyze the Resource Assignments report and see if it brings value to our user community.

Before I get into the report, the definition I have been going on is: Allocation is at the project level (Team tab) while assignment is resources named on the Task of a project. And assignment value is coming from the ETC?

The report presents data in two sections. First, a Summary view of allocations, which is spot on. We really like this section as our resource managers would not have to drill down into the application itself for each resource to see what they are working on and how much they are allocated.

Second section presents a Detail view of Assigned/Actuals/ETC. This is where my confusion enters.

I ran the report for my team and reviewed the assigned column for one of the resources. See attached document. The investment I have selected happens to be an idea. (FYI: The recommendation in our environment is to have roles on the idea and not book time against an idea at this time). I'm not sure exactly why this resource is booking time against the idea, however to illustrate the web of confusion...

The report states an assigned value of 45.50 from 11/21/2011 to 12/31/2011. #1. I'm not sure where this value is coming from.

However, if i look at the team tab of the idea (see screenshot), the resource is allocated from
10/1/2011 to 10/31/2011 at 9.52%
11/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 at 25%.

So by my calculation over the allocation above comes to about 104 hours. So this is why I am trying to understand the definition first and then break down the report however i'm running out of thoughts.

Do you/Have you use/promote the OTB Resource Assignments Report in your environment?

Thank you in advance.

Outcomes