erik.kern

Maintaining original budget hours/dollars

Discussion created by erik.kern on Sep 7, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 by Chris_Hackett
Hi, folks. I am using the Task List View of the task tab to track the project's budget. I would like to track the actual and ETC hours against the original budget. I have the Actuals and ETC fields ready to go, but the original budget field has been surprisingly difficult to locate. I thought I was going to be able to use the Baseline Usage field to track the original budget, but I don't think I will be able to use the field. I do like the fact that the field gets updated by pressing the "update baseline" button, but I don't like how the field is updated. We allow the original budget to be updated after a Change Order is approved. The problem is that the Change Order may be approved after the additional work has begun and can go beyond the original hours plus the additional hours stated in the Change Order. The Baseline Usage field is updated by adding the Actual and ETC hours together. In the instance stated above, the Baseline Usage field will overstate the budget because the actuals plus the ETC will be greater than the original budget plus Change Orders.

I would like a budget field that adds together the original budget amount and the additional Change Order amount. Is there a way to change the behavior of the Baseline Usage field, or is there another field that behaves the way I would like it to behave? Preferably, I would want to control maintanance of the field with the "Update Baseline" button.

Thanks!

Erik

Outcomes