Clarity

• 1.  Staff OBS Unit in Project ---Team---staff

Posted Dec 28, 2011 03:03 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,
    I see 2 fields in Investment role and Staff OBS Unit field when you go to Project >>>Team>>>Staff page. Investment role is directly populated with resource/staff primary role where as the staff OBS is not populated and it shows blank.

Is staff OBS and resource OBs are the same? If yes when i select a different OBS in staff OBS it gets saved and it is different from resource OBS.

I need to automatically bring the value of staff OBS from resource OBS unit. I went to Project object and looked at the staff OBS value which lookup value and is system restricted 'OBS resource browse lookup' .

Please let me know how to populate the Staff OBS UNIT?

Thank you
    PM

• 2.  RE: Staff OBS Unit in Project ---Team---staff

Posted Dec 30, 2011 04:11 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi,

Staff Obs is used in resource planning portlets(capacity planning).
    you need to define the staff obs unit.you need to Analyze your existing resource obs will be suitable to map for staff obs.
    I.e

If we have multiple locations and the existing resource obs which you have defined is not based on the locations then you can create 1 OBS and use it for staff OBS.
    If you have an project which is spread across locations then if you add roles across locations .
    i.e
    Atlanta,newyork,California then the staff location obs can be used.

You can see this in Page 39-40 in CAClarityPPM_ProjectManagement_UserGuide .

Define Default Staffing Options
    You can define a project's default staffing options in the Staffing section of the Project: Properties: Main - Schedule page. The OBS you choose as the
    default staff OBS unit is used to more fully describe a staffing requirement. This is done by mapping roles with OBS units with resource managers. The
    staff OBS can be anything such as resource pool, a specific location, or a department. For example, if you need a programmer (role) from Atlanta
    (staff OBS), then you can use the project's default OBS value to route the role requisition to the resource manager responsible for allocating resources
    from Atlanta OBS.
    The staff OBS you identify is also used during capacity planning. You can filter capacity and demand based on staff OBS. For example, you can use it
    to find out if you have enough capacity for programmers in Atlanta to fulfill the demand for programmers in that location.You can also specify whether
    or not you want to require resource requisitions be approved before they can be booked. When you select the Requisition Approval Required check box,
    the following rules apply:
    ¦ Resources must have the Project - Edit access right to book proposed resources to a project or reject them. If resources also have hard-booking rights,
    they can hard book those resources directly to the project. Without this access right, resources can only propose resources, which submits the booking
    for approval.
    ¦ If you request a named resource and the booking manager proposes the same resource with the same allocation, the proposal is approved automatically
    and a notification is sent. There is no formal approval required.
    To define a project's default staffing options
    1. Open the project.
    The Project: Properties: Main - General page appears.
    2. Select Schedule from the content menu.
    The Project: Properties: Main - Schedule page appears.
    3. In the Staffing section, complete the following fields:

Default Staff OBS Unit
    Defines the set default OBS unit that is used when you add team staff members to this project. This OBS unit more fully describes a staffing requirement,
    and can be a resource pool, a specific location, or a department. By mapping roles with OBS units and resource managers, the roles can be filled more
    accurately. The default staff OBS unit is used during capacity planning for analyzing demand against your capacity using the staff OBS as filter criteria.

Note: See the Resource Management User Guide for more information.
    Example:
    Use the OBS to find out if you have enough capacity for programmers in Atlanta to fulfill the demand for programmers in that location.

cheers,
    sundar

• 3.  Re: Staff OBS Unit in Project ---Team---staff

Posted Apr 09, 2015 01:38 PM

Hi all.

Resurrecting a 4 year old thread to add to the great knowledge Sundar has posted here. I understand what Staff OBS Unit does for Resource Finder when the requirement is a Role. When direct staffing a resource to a project team - is there an expectation that the team member's OBS would automagically fill in Staff OBS? Is there any advantages of having Staff OBS populated with the team member's OBS? or is Staff OBS only valuable to Unfilled Requirements?

• 4.  Re: Staff OBS Unit in Project ---Team---staff

Posted Apr 09, 2015 08:37 PM

Staff OBS can also be used for selecting Rates from Rate Matrix when creating Cost Plans from allocations or from assignments.

- Use Dept OBS as source for Staff OBS selections

- Assign rates in matrix to Departments

We've been looking at using Roles and Departments on the Team Staff page as means of creating a Cost Plan - assign the roles to the Team\Staff page and then identify the department that will be supplying the roles, ensuring that a rate exists in the matrix for each department (our rates are currently department based, only, so 'role' is not one of our assigned matrix columns)..

Works great.