Jim_Fuhring

Resource Supply and Demand - Tracking with Clarity

Discussion created by Jim_Fuhring on Sep 24, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 by Chris_Hackett
I'm building a business case to support the implementation of resource requisitioning for our company. Here are some pros and cons to implementing a formal resource requisitioning process. I'm trying to justify why the project would need to be implmented.

Pros:
1) In the planning phase, we would be able to plan with virtual resources, i.e. roles, and forecast how many of each role we would need and if we'd be able to realize the planned portfolio of projects
2) Would know the supply or capacity of our resources (FTEs only)
3) Would know what projects FTEs are working on.
4) If time tracking is used, would be able to compare actual time charged to time allocated.
5) Project Managers will be able to plan resource dependency risks better...they will have visibility into resource commitments to other projects
6) Provide a forecast of what external services (roles) are needed (cannot do capacity since capacity is, theoretically, quite large)
7) Improve utilization through better load spread which allows for fast search of available staff when planning work.

Cons:
1) Training required to use Clarity to input: allocations, handle requisitions, find capacity, interpret supply vs. demand reports, interpret and improve on allocation vs. actuals.
2) Implementation of reporting
3) Building and getting agreement on the escalation and notification tree. It can be quite complex to monitor the process
4) Cost. Organizations struggle with resource requisitioning but seem to be able to get the jobs done without it. How do you justify the cost? What's the ROI?

Outcomes