Rob-FCB

How to get around certain issues while upgrading to v13

Discussion created by Rob-FCB on Jan 12, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 by Rob-FCB
We are currently in the process of upgrading our systems from 12.0.6 to 13 - starting in our Dev environment.

We have run into several issues but it now looks like the upgrade is going to go through and I thought I might share a couple of the issues we've faced in case others experience them as well.

Our current production environment is still on Windows 2003 and SQL 2005. With v13 we are moving to all Windows 2008 and SQL 2008 (as is requried.)
We have completely new VM's that we are using for the upgrade.

First, we took a snapshot of the current 12.0.6 database and copied it to the new SQL 2008 server.
Then, we ran the installer for 12.0.6 on the new Windows 2008 app server. I had thought that we would need to run through the complete install, but 12.0.6. does not support SQL 2008 so that is not feasible. You just need to run the command line installer to get the Clarity code on the server.

Then, we updated our Java and Tomcat with the 64-bit versions that are supported with v13 and updated the envrionment variables.

Then we ran the v13 installer, which first upgrades to 12.1.1 before v13.

We ran into several issues while running the installer that we finally seem to have cleared.

First, when we copied the database over, the niku SQL account received sysadmin Server role, which was preventing it from using niku as its default schema.
Next, we encountered another error when it tried to update the base calendar. In 12.0.6, we had renamed the base calendar from Standard to FCB Standard and the install didn't like that. So, we renamed the base calendar in the database back to Standard.
This got the installer through the v13 part, but failed again when trying to launch the beacon. However, support said that the install had gone far enough to be able to launch the CSA and complete the upgrade steps, which we are doing now.

So, hopefully the rest will be smooth sailing, but just wanted to post these issues for anyone else that might be in a similar situation.

Outcomes