Plex 2E

Expand all | Collapse all

Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

• 1.  Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 11:23 AM
    Hello all,

I am having to maintain a WinC Client that fetches from a SQL Server DB via a SQL Script and displays results on a Grid. The query returns a very large nbr of records (33K+) but the grid only displays 32760 records.

I have analyzed the fetching, row validating, and grid appending processes and everything works ok for the 33K+ records however only the 32760 record limit is displayed.

I think I have reached the max size for the grid's capability and would like to know if there is a way to overcome this limitation.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lucio
    PLEX WORLD

• 2.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 02:12 PM
    Hi there Lucio,

There is a memory buffer setting in the client INI file - and I think if that is not sufficient; then the rows should be buffered to disk. See the description of the Memory Buffer below - would increasing this help?

-Rob

----

Memory Buffer
    Controlling the Run-time Memory Buffer (C++ Windows only)

Rows added to a grid are stored in memory. If large numbers of rows are loaded this can result in run-time errors if the computer runs out of memory. To prevent this, the CA Plex run-time environment can store records on disk in a temporary file. A setting in the application's .INI file specifies the number of kilobytes of memory that the application uses before it starts this buffering process:

[Window Options]
    Grid Memory Buffer=200
    Setting this option to -1 disables buffering and means that the grid data is always stored in memory. This can result in some performance improvements.

• 3.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 03:04 PM
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the setting of the Grid Memory Buffer but found no variation in the results. The Grid always truncates exactly at the same point.

Lucio
    PLEX WORLD

• 4.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 03:47 PM
    maybe it is a trick, the records are loaded but you cant scroll to them. Will check tomorrow but pretty sure I am successfully loading well over 50,000 recs into a plex grid
    loading over 32670

• 5.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 04:41 PM
    Hi George,

Yes, the records are fetched and processed. I successfully reach and execute the APPEND GRID statement for all 30K+ records but only see the 32760 records displayed.

Lucio
    PLEX WORLD

• 6.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 17, 2012 04:48 PM
      |   view attached
    but then again see widgets help file

Using a Record Buffer HGrid Notes:
    The fact that the HGrid properties FirstRec and MaxRec are both long values allows a buffered HGrid control to handle tables containing millions of records. However, for practical reasons, the HGrid is limited to 32,767 records at a time (the maximum integer value). In fact, for performance reasons it is wise to maintain a BufferSize of a few hundred or less. The optimal buffer size will depend on a balance of the HGrid's performance and that of the application's data source.
    Because the HGrid never contains more than 32,767 records, all record-related attributes of HGrid control, such as the current Anchor and Extent positions, are stored as integer offsets from the BaseRec

i only had a grid loading 31,000 approx recs... right at the limitation!

FlexiGrid time for you I guess.

Did a quick test with a panel and grid region with no data access just appending 50,000 rows

• 7.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Jan 19, 2012 04:51 PM
    Thanks George, it seems the limit is indeed the record number I mentioned.

Right now I found a different way to go around this request but will try the FlexGrid at a later time, thanks for the suggestions.

Have a great day,

Lucio
    PLEX WORLD

• 8.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted May 20, 2013 10:48 AM
    An old requirement to CA community managers...only adding a post to label this thread

• 9.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Nov 03, 2013 12:34 AM

An update on this thread on how we have succesfully move forward with very large sets of returned data.

Instead of displaying very large sets of data (40+K) on grids we are executing SSRS reports that allow the users to export to Excel and from there they have been using such tool to filter and  manipulate. Quick and efficient approach with no major client change or redesign.

Lucio

• 10.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Nov 03, 2013 02:14 AM

It means you moved from grids to Excels...it seems.

Here we used to create big sets of rows which are moved to Excel to be reports, circumventing Plex report limitations, and giving flexibility and interaction to them. In some way, using Plex as an ETL tool...

• 11.  RE: Grid Limit Reached with Maximum of 32760 Records

Posted Nov 04, 2013 09:43 AM

Hola Jorge,

Yes, for grids with very large results sets we opted for this option to avoid client redesgin plus we immediately provided the additional sort/filtering/printing functionality to users by letting them carry these out on Excel.

This system is mostly in maintenance mode therefore implementing a solution that involved more work was not feasible.

Regards,

Lucio

www.plex-world.com