AnsweredAssumed Answered

Populate Functionality Quirkiness

Question asked by haig.assadourian on Jan 19, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 by another_martink
Hi, I'd appreciate any insights from the community on this. I've read through numerous threads but haven't found a satisfactory explanation.

We're on 12.0.4 and in our implementation, we assign resources to projects (not tasks). Thus, their assignement to the project assumes the term of the project. For example, many of our projects are set up from 2011 through 2013. Team members on those projects assume those assignement dates. When resources track time to a Task on one of these projects, Clarity automatically "assigns" that resource on that Task's assigned resources list for that particular week's term. In other words, the start and end dates of the assignment span the week in which they tracked time to that task. I don't understand why this happens, but it does.

We promote the use of Populate on timesheets as a time saver. It's our experience it will "typically" auto-populate tasks on timesheets based on 2 criteria: (1) if that resource has been specifically assigned to a particular task; or (2) when that resource has tracked time on that task in the previous week (this may be driven by the fact that the resource gets auto-assigned to that task when they tracked time to in that previous week). However, our resources continue to report instances where Populate has carried forward Tasks in which they they have not tracked time to for several weeks. Furthermore, when we look at that particular Task's assignements, we indeed see that resource assigned to the task for the specific period in which they tracked time - but that person's assignment date has since "expired". Populate has continued to carry it forward on that person's timesheet. Users get frustrated when they delete these tasks from their timesheet only to find that Populate brings them back the following week.

We've opened a CA ticket on this to resolve our understanding with little success. Can anyone explain this functionality or is this a defect?

Thanks much.

Outcomes